• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book stores in London?

ja9

Anyone have a book store to recommend in the London area?? I collect antiquarian books (natural history and children's literature, mostly). I usually go to Peter Harrington in Chelsea, but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I'm hoping to pick up some books while I'm in London next week and thinking it would be good to try somewhere different for a change. I've been disappointed in the shops on Charing Cross Road, which seemed to have only new or recent titles. Miserable though the rate of exchange is, I would rather spend a lot of money on one nice book than spend less and come home with small things that aren't that interesting. I suppose this is why I'm always poor, but OH WELL!

Hello ja9,

Well if you're bookshopping in London then you have to visit HERE, it's a beautiful shop.
Foyles in Soho is good too - I'm sure google will throw up their website.

As for antiquarian books (expensive hobby!) then I think Russell Books is a good shop, there is another one I can't quite recall the name of. I should have the addresses written in my diary I'll post them for you later.

Many thanks, Gem! I haven't been to any of these shops. I did go to Foyles last time I was in London and they seemed to have only modern titles, nothing antiquarian. All of these look wonderful - Daunt Books especially. Peter Harrington, which is my favorite bookstore anywhere, looks quite a bit like this from the outside, so it's very promising.

I already feel like I'm walking around with a hole in my pocket when I go to Europe these days--but I don't think I will be able to pass up going to at least one of these stores. What is the point of earning money, if not to enjoy spending some of it???

Back