• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Booker Prize 'Challenges'

The current prize is run by Visigoths, apparently.

There have been many years that I haven't cared a bit about any of the Booker nominees. This year is the first year I've actually been interested enough to follow through and purchase three of them. The Sister Brothers, Half Blood Blues, and Pigeon English, the first being the only one I've read so far. And while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure I'd truly consider it "Booker worthy".

The authors that are associated with the new Literature Prize, are some of my favorites. John Banville, Pat Barker and David Mitchell at least I know I consider "prize worthy", and have been in fact. So, I'd respect their opinions.

As far as your quote above Will, Dame Stella certainly voices a different view [natch] in a linked article in your linked article. New Literature Prize to establish "standard of excellence" | The Bookseller A quote from same as follows.
Chair of the judges Stella Rimington poured scorn on critics of the shortlist in the Guardian last week, saying: "It's pathetic that so-called literary critics are abusing my judges and me. They live in such an insular world they can't stand their domain being
intruded upon."

There is certainly some truth in her statement as well.

Gotta love it. :D

So true. I am really enjoying reading Jamrach's Menagerie at the moment. I just dipped into it, and finding it thoroughly enjoyable. Such a rich world being created.

I think it's a little case of arrogance by the 'establishment' that so many of their darlings seem to have been sidelined, and that there's a potential for the award to become more mainstream. Hence the whole 'definitive' quote from the 'Literature Prize' that it goal: "is to establish a clear and uncompromising standard of excellence".... hmmmm

It's like they're putting the words into their 'potential' critics mouths, and creating an issue where there might not have been one...

I do aim to read a few more of the Booker nominees though, whatever the mess going on here.

Back