• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

booklovers,talk to me!Recommend any good books (really, i love everything)

mickey_mouse13

If anyone has good books to talk about write to me!

I'm 13, I live in quebec and I love to read. I don't have many friends who love to read as much as me so it would be nice if someone would write just to talk or recommend any good books.:)

m.g.j

Hey there, and welcome to the forum. It's good to see someone at such an age to be so enthusiastic about books, of which I do, of course, have many to suggest for you.

Can we start, though, by you telling us what kind of books you enjoy, what books you have read recently (say the last three books you have read) and what one of your favourite books of all time is?
This will give me an idea of the type of things you enjoy and I will be able to guide you to ones I think will be suitable and which you might enjoy.

Thanks

Mxx

Ya wanna list 'o titles, do ya?! Here goes:

- 'Only Forward', 'Spares' and 'One Of Us' by Michael Marshall Smith.
- 'The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy' by Douglas Adams.
- 'Everything Is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer.
- Every bloody thing ever written by Kurt Vonnegut.
- 'Jitterbug Perfume' and 'Still Life With Woodpecker' by Tom Robbins.
- 'Corpsing' and 'Exhibitionism' by Toby Litt.
- 'Cryptonomicon' by Neal Stephenson

Need I go on?!

Cheers, Martin :D

Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut
Blindness by José Saramago
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

And I've also just started Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, which is extremely challenging, but I hope ultimately rewarding. If you pick it up, grab the Companion, it's helped me a lot.

Enjoy.

Samurai Chicken said:
I've also just started Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, which is extremely challenging, but I hope ultimately rewarding.

Samurai, is this novel in any way comparable to Neal Stephenson's 'Cryptonomicon'? I own the latter (haven't read it yet, though), and I read the former's blurb some time ago, and I seem to remember a similarity between them. Am I right in this assumption?

Cheers, Martin :D

Lonesome Dove

It's one of the greatest American novels ever.

I love this book. I didn't think I would like a western, but this book is great. It's a huge epic. There are sequels, but I haven't read them. There is also a made for TV move starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones, but I haven't seen that either.

Regardless, Lonesome Dove is a wonderful adventure story, on par with Lord of the Rings, another great adventure story. [it gave me the same chills as The Two Towers did when Pippin and Merry were travelling with the orcs]

Don't dismiss it because Westerns seem mundane. That world is just as mythological as Middle Earth.

And there are loads of cool scenes, like shootouts and a fight between a bull and a grizzly bear.

Back