• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books about a thief?

wadesworld

Hi all,

I'm interested in finding a book (or preferably a series) that deals with a thief.

I'm looking for the classic "big heist" type book (something like the movie "The Score" with Robert Dinero or the "Thomas Crown Affair"). A guy puts together a plot to steal millions in diamonds, cash, art, whatever.

I particularly enjoy descriptions of all the planning, high-tech subverting of the security system, etc. And of course, the nail-biting actual heist and escape.

Anyone know of a book, series or an author that specializes in this subject?

Thanks,

Wade

Not quite what you describe, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this header was the burgler series by Lawrence Block. More mysteries than heists, but....

Also you may want to check out Donald Westlake's stuff.

Maybe Gerald Browne - 19 Purchase Street. Stone 588 has a heist in it as well, but it's not the focus of the story. Judging by the reviews, 11Harrowhouse and West 47th also seem to involve big jewellery robberies.

There's also Lawrence Block's The Thief who Couldn't Sleep, and Cancelled Chech.

I was surprised "The Thomas Crown Affair" was not based on a book (to my knowledge). I bet it would make a good read.

Not high-tech, but very enjoyable: The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton. It is a very well written book about a gold theft in Victorian England.

Damn i love that book :D I found it in a second hand bookshop in Reading a coupla years ago and i was hooked

Back