• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books about depression

M&O

I am looking for a good, simple book about depression, and specifically about living with someone who is depressed. A family member is dealing with this suddenly. I have found some titles, but have no way of knowing how good they are. Thank you for any help.

Lewis Wolpert has written a book on depression called Malignant Sadness: An Anatomy of Depression. It received extremely good reviews when it was published. I haven't read it myself, but I have read some of Wolpert's books, and he is a very lucid, cogent and readable scientist. He also suffers from depression himself.

Skycat.

M&O said:
I am looking for a good, simple book about depression, and specifically about living with someone who is depressed. A family member is dealing with this suddenly. I have found some titles, but have no way of knowing how good they are. Thank you for any help.

Hi, M&O,

I am not sure whether or not the following book can do any help to your issues. The author is really good counselling psychologist.

The feeling good handbook
by Burns, David D.

New York, N.Y., USA : Plume Book, c1989 (1990 printing)
Subjects Cognitive therapy.

Best wishes,
watercrystal

First of all, let me say how sorry I am. Depression is enormously difficult for people who have never suffered from it to accept and understand. It can really take a toll on everyone around. Just hang in there and be sure the person is getting professional help.

The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon is pretty detailed. It developed from a New Yorker article he wrote. Solomon is a successful novelist who plunged into depression. If you have access to databases that carries full text of old New Yorkers or a library that has them on the shelf, you might want to just read the essay. Here's the citation: "Anatomy of Melancholy. (surviving severe depression)" by Andrew Solomon. The New Yorker , Jan 12, 1998, v73 n42 p46(14). It's harrowing. First he had a therapist who didn't believe in medication. Then he had a pharmacologist who didn't believe in therapy. He found that both were essential.

Darkness Visible : A Memoir of Madness by novelist William Styron is a stunning, painful, and beautiful first-person account. Sometimes it helps people who are having a difficult time understanding the disease to read a description that is powerful enough to give them a feeling for what their friend/family member is going through.

An Unquiet Mind : A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison is another first-person account, but this time by a professor of psychiatry. Although she suffers from bipolar disease (manic-depression), the swings are as telling as pure depression. She also advocates a combination of drugs and therapy.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Depression books

I wanted to thank everyone who responded (and anyone who wished they could but didn't happen to know of any books ;) ). I believe I have a better understanding of depression now, and have recommended some to others in our family. After reading some pretty horrific descriptions of what it's like to live through a depression, it makes me cringe now whenever someone is feeling a little sad and uses the word 'depressed': "I'm so depressed-- it's Monday again!"

M&O said:
I've been thinking of getting a book about depression too. I used to get very badly depressed. Stuff I don't like to think about when i was depressed :(

Can't go by and not post on this.

I highly recommend checking out modern energy psychology to treat emotional disturbances of all sorts.

Not necessarily to treat an entire clinical depression (that would require a qualified professional) but for every day ADDITIONAL stressors, and for relatives who are now themselves experiencing stress, the self help protocols are outstanding and have helped thousands.

Check out http://TheAMT.com - The Association for Meridian Energy Therapies. Lots of free basic self help protocols. Also practitioner referals. Many members are psychologists.

Good luck,

SFxxx

M&O said:
I am looking for a good, simple book about depression, and specifically about living with someone who is depressed.

Why don't you read a few academic texts and then you can write a book on depression yourself? :D

After reading some pretty horrific descriptions of what it's like to live through a depression, it makes me cringe now whenever someone is feeling a little sad and uses the word 'depressed': "I'm so depressed-- it's Monday again!"

I suffer from depression and this is one of my greatest aggravations. It is nice to know that you understand this. So few people do. I have been on medication in the past and have learned to deal with what I call "my down times". I would gladly answer anyone's more private questions through email.

Back