• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books about will power

Funnily enough, I though of Hesse, but not of Siddartha. I was thinking of Demian. I don't know if I am the only person to put the book's thesis to the test. I did and failed but I don't think I had enough will power to try in the first place.

Another one is Balzac's The Onager's (or Wild Ass's, dependending on the translator) Skin, although it is also present in many other Balzac's novels.

These aren't the greatest books, but they make for a good pool-side read. The Hex series by Rhiannon Lassiter. They're science fiction but not quite so seriously science fiction that after the first five minutes you're wondering What the @#$@ is a decomposite velocity adjustment thinga-majiggie-izer... :rolleyes:

in the crazy very very old school "practice bugging your eyes out and attempting to get people to do your will" school of books there was a great old series called "universal magnetism"..leatherbound, suggested weird eye exercises..loved them

also, "from mesmer to christian science" was pretty good

i would say both of these are most likely out of print, but histories of mesmer and mary baker eddy are always in style..just take it all with a grain of salt

hesse is good, if a little flaky... magister ludi and journey to the east

also there are some bits in the bhagavad gita on various forms of yoga, just , again ,take ishkcon stuff with a grain of salt

I don't know any nonfiction, but go for The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. It's about this kid in South Africa who beats incredible odds, both in the boxing ring and out of it. I never thought boxing could be interesting but in this book it was :eek: :p

Thanks, everyone, for replying. I read both Siddharhta and Demain, as well as Balzac's novel you've mentioned, and it's not quite what I'm looking for. I want to find stories about people overcoming big hardships with honor. Maybe something like Jack London, preferrably from classical authors, but modern are interesting for me too. Con someone recommend anything?

How about The Color of Water by James McBride? It's about a a woman who was Jewish, came to America when she was little, and ran away from her family. Then she married a black man and bore 12 children who she all got through college by herself. It's written by one of those children and it's a true story. Part of it is from the son, part of it is from the mother, so you can see and contrast as you read along.

Back