• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books and cities

london

Dear all,

I am looking for books (novels in particular) that take place in the following cities:

London (UK)
Munich (Germany)
Paris (France)
New York (USA)
Tibet

For example The Da Vinci Code in Paris.

I am not fussy about authors (man, woman, any race and colour) or centuries.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you!!

London

There are lots of books set in London, Paris and New York. As lies has already recommended some about London and Paris, I would like to recommend "Manhattan Transfer" by John Dos Passos.
Munich is harder. Most books I know are between Munich and somewhere else, like the short story "Death in Venice" by Thomas Mann. I think part of "The Buddenbrook", by the same author happened in Munich as well; at least I think one of the main characters married someone from Munich and moved there.

London, and Paris seem to be covered pretty well, so here's Tibet, New York, and Munich:

(This is what NoveList turned up)

The Skull Mantra by Eliot Pattison: "When a headless corpse turns up on a Tibetan mountainside, veteran police inspector Shan Tao Yun is released from prison to investigate the crime, and he quickly uncovers a conspiracy involving American mining interests, corrupt Party officials, and Tibetan sorcerers. Winner of the 2000 Edgar Award for Best First Novel."

Tibet: Through the Red Box by Peter Sis: "The author recreates his father's visit to Tibet and the wondrous things that he found there."

Straight into Darkness by Faye Kellerman: "A homicide inspector in 1920s Munich hunts for a serial killer."

Suspension by Richard E. Crabbe: "In the tense aftermath of the Civil War, the construction of the East River bridge becomes a target for a group of Southern partisans, led by a fanatical captain, as Detective Tom Braddock's investigation into a murder uncovers hints of the conspiracy and puts his own life in jeopardy."

The Broken Hearts Club by Ethan Black: "Detective Conrad Voort races against time to catch an elusive serial killer, an investigation that leads him to an informal group of men whose only connection lies in their unsuccessful love lives."

It's a bit heavy on the mysteries but I hope this will help!

I know of thousands of books set in New York. Just off the top of my head:

The Alienist and other Caleb Carr (not very good, BTW)
Catcher in the Rye
any thing by Louis Auchincloss
almost anything by Dominick Dunne
anything by Jimmy Breslin (The Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight)
several Donald Westlake books
Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing
The Nanny Diaries
About the Author
Basketball Diaries by Jim Carrol
One part of Some Hope by Edward St. Aubyn
Eloise books (about the little girl in the hotel)
many of Paul Auster's books (the NY Trilogy, for three)
Many of John Cheever's books/stories

There are just so many. I'm not even trying here.

lies said:
Google is your friend!

Tibet: Eliot Pattison and a list.

Thank you all for your replies!

To tell you the truth I had problems with google as too many things come up and I kinda get lost!

I was mainly focusin on novels that take place or touch cities as the above mentioned ones.

TA!!

Back