• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books Assigned in College...

JimMorrison

I am going to be a freshman next year and wanted to know what books i can expect to be assigned to read. I would love to hear what literature awaits me :)

P.S. Is it true that a book is assigned and expected to be read in a very short period of time, say a week?

I think it really depends on what gen ed classes you take and what your major is. I read tons of different things ranging from The Parable of the Sower to The Prince.

All depends on the courses and the professor. Some courses are all about "great books" like Shakespeare, Machiavelli, etc. Others are intro literature courses and read fairly recent contemporary fiction. I've read everything from Harry Potter to Francois Rabelais for college.

You could always try checking the website of wherever you're going, or emailing someone there to get a list. Or do they like to keep it all a secret? SURPRISE! These are the books we'll be forcing you to read!! I know it's not the same, but quite a few of my friends and myself had reading lists issued for our particular subject areas before we went to uni. Actually I got them before my A Levels too thinking about it.

I took AP English, and thus tested out of taking any English classes. My major was chemical engineering, thus I read no literature books in my four years at college. It really does depend upon your major and the classes you choose to take.

Back