• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books by Author Rick Riordan

dominion

kickbox
Hello Everyone,

After reading some of the series of books Rick I fell in love with fanfiction. I would like some thoughts from anyone who may have read these books. They made a movie out of one of the first book "The Lightning Thief" I thought it could have been better, but what do any of you think about the series or the movie.

The Percy Jackson books were quick reads, but I wasn't blown away by them. Percy frankly annoyed me. I like the movie to be honest. I look forward to seeing The Sea of Monsters in theaters. The follow-up books The Heroes of Olympus are much better than the Percy Jackson ones in my opinion.

Personally I like the Kane Chronicles best because I'm more of a fan for the Egyptian pantheon.

Riordan plans on starting a new mythology series after he finishes The Heroes of Olympus, but this time we're going to have the Norse gods. I confess that I'm a bit excited to read those stories.

I have only read the first one, The Lightning Thief. I was annoyed and appalled at how much they changed it for the movie.

While I have heard about the Heroes of Olympus I havent read them. I myself like Egytian mythology as well, but did not know there was a book series on them; I will ddefinitely check that out. I will admit though Percy's personality could have been more powerful even though he did not know who he was at the beginning. I would like to imagine that being a demigod would effect one's nature (character, personality, and so on). Hopefully they will make the next movie better. More epic less hollywood.

I myself was also appalled at how they changed the movie. Know what though movie directors seem to do that sort of thing with just about every movie they get from an original work that I've seen. Unless you truly identify with the book series, manga, or anime series you wouldn't know the difference. Dragonball Evolution, Blood, and others were taken from Japanese and Chinese animes and done poorly in American theatres. We who watch this stuff need new blood making our movies.

I heard a few of the Percy Jackson books...they were decent. The movie was laughable, which is a shame because the story was a neat blending of myth and modern.

I totally agree if they had done it right instead of going with brand equity (arrogant boy meets fiesty girl, girls falls for boy)...the movie would have been a big hit. It would have been better than "The Immortals" and I am not sure about the "Titans" yet I have not seen it. Oh, well maybe the next movie will be better.

I personally enjoyed all of Rick Riordan's books, even though I am 24. They all have the same basic formula, but it's still good, and sometimes you just want something fast paced and simple to help ease your mind and make you feel good.

first of all age is irrelevant when it comes to books like these its just the thought of applying fan-fiction to the Greek gods that caught me from the moment I heard of them from Rick himself. I agree with the fast paced part once the story caught you it did not let you go until the end.

Sounds like an interesting book about the Egyptian gods. It seems that Rick is writing stories about all the myths in reference to the gods of different cultures. One thing that may be out of the norm for him I guess is the story of Atlantis I would like him to at some point make a story about that or maybe I should just do it. Just a thought.

Now that I'm done with the Kane Chronicles, I have to say that of the three volumes the first book is by far the best but the other two aren't bad. They just could have been better.

Unfortunately, I find that to be a pattern in a lot of movies and books the beginning starts out strong, but throughout the plot it weakens this especially happens in movies. But as I research new entertainment I find new entertainment not existing in the United States which is amazing like mangas, anime, japanese, and korean dramas. They start out strong and continue to the very end.

I have read, and own, all of Rick Riordan's teen fiction books. I loved the Percy Jackson. Heroes of Olympus is a good series that blends in perfectly with the Percy Jackson books. I have the Kane Chronicles too. Those are different from Percy's story but it's really good too. I hear he is about to start a series with the Norse gods. In the Kane series he makes a small reference to the Percy Jackson series. I am kinda wondering if he intends to mix them all together somehow. I also heard that the Kane Chronicles was a trilogy and nothing more but Heroes of Olympus is going to be 5 books. I am so excited about THe Mark of Athena. Ever since I read Serpent's Shadow I've been stuck in a mood for that sort of read. I'm not currently reading anything new because I can't find anything. I highly recommend Rick Riordan to anyone. He's such a fun author.

Very nice good taste! The thing about coming across new material to read and entertainment to watch such as good anime is the new hole needed to fill afterwards. So I completely understand what you are going through if you haven't already found what you are looking for. Have you searched in Yahoo or Google for books like Rick or Kane? Others may have asked the same questions leading to answers.

Book vs. Movie

:cool:I did read the book and saw the movie. Loved the movie for entertainment but enjoyed the book more. The book had more stuff going on then the movie.:D

I've read only three of his books so far. I did enjoy "39 clues" but the best was definitely The Lost Hero :)

Back