• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books for a Polish guy :)

Esseti

Hi,
I'm a student living in Poland, and I want to buy some books from Amazon.com. I need your help on making some interesting picks. So far I know that I will be getting 'Last Words: A Memoir' by George Carlin (my idol), apart from that I'm thinking of getting George Orwell's 1984, because I heard so much about this book.

And here's some things that I like and who I am:
- I like drama shows like CSI, Dexter, House
- I'm interested in US politics, especially President Obama
- I'm a realist, I don't tolerate bullsh*t and falseness in people (that's why I love George'y :)
- interested and working with computers (but I don't want manuals)
- some fiction and action stories, but nothing too heavy

Hate:
- SCI-FI, or how I call it - anything that happens above the atmosphere
- horror movies/novels
- love stories
- fantasy

And last, but not least ... ah, and I know that this will sound awkward but, maybe someone can recommend a self-help book, or something of that kind for ... life? I'm 21 now and I'm a little confused and don't know what I really want from life (yea I know, I'm not alone). Something more for the personal side of life would be more appropriate since I'm a little bit of a nerd 8)

Thanks for your help :)

Hi,
I'm a student living in Poland, and I want to buy some books from Amazon.com. I need your help on making some interesting picks. So far I know that I will be getting 'Last Words: A Memoir' by George Carlin (my idol), apart from that I'm thinking of getting George Orwell's 1984, because I heard so much about this book.

And here's some things that I like and who I am:
- I like drama shows like CSI, Dexter, House
- I'm interested in US politics, especially President Obama
- I'm a realist, I don't tolerate bullsh*t and falseness in people (that's why I love George'y :)
- interested and working with computers (but I don't want manuals)
- some fiction and action stories, but nothing too heavy

Hate:
- SCI-FI, or how I call it - anything that happens above the atmosphere
- horror movies/novels
- love stories
- fantasy

And last, but not least ... ah, and I know that this will sound awkward but, maybe someone can recommend a self-help book, or something of that kind for ... life? I'm 21 now and I'm a little confused and don't know what I really want from life (yea I know, I'm not alone). Something more for the personal side of life would be more appropriate since I'm a little bit of a nerd 8)

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Esseti, I think you will like '1984' - it's one of my favorite novels.

I always recommend almost anything by Jodi Picoult - she is a fabulous writer, and her stories are very realistic and well crafted. I've read all of her novels, and from your description, I would recommend 'Nineteen Minutes' for you.

Another great novel is 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen.

I don't know what to recommend in the way of self-help books...is there something in particular you want help for?

Thanks for posting, you'll have to let us know what you decide on. :)

I heard that Tom Clancy is very good, but hes books have a lot of parts, so I don't know if reading one is a good idea.

>writegirl
I'm thinking of getting 'Nineteen Minutes', because I'm not really that fond of circuses. But maybe you have any other suggestions? Maybe a good detective story?

I heard that Tom Clancy is very good, but hes books have a lot of parts, so I don't know if reading one is a good idea.

>writegirl
I'm thinking of getting 'Nineteen Minutes', because I'm not really that fond of circuses. But maybe you have any other suggestions? Maybe a good detective story?

Just curious, what do you mean by 'his books have a lot of parts'? I haven't read Clancy.

With the exception of Sherlock Holmes, I don't usually read detective stories, so don't have a lot to recommend. But you might enjoy some John Grisham? I liked 'The Firm' (his first novel), among others. Or Michael Crichton?

Most of them work well as stand alone novels (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Cardinal of the Kremlin, Red Rabbit, to name a few)

Hm, didn't know Tom Clancy wrote 'Hunt for the red October'. But I saw the film, so the whole story wouldn't be as fresh for me. Which one of those do you suggest? So I can add it to my shopping list :)

Just watched last weeks Jon Stewarts show, and I'm gonna be adding 'Tokyo Vice' to my list. Seems like a very interesting read. I forgot to mention that I am also interested in the Japanese culture.

1984 is a great one, I just finished it a few months ago.
George Carlin is hilarious, I love him! If you like humor you should try David Sedaris, Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry, Bill Bryson...especially Sedaris though. My favorite of his is Me Talk Pretty One Day.
I don't have any actual self-help books to recommend but I can recommend some books that have inspired me.
Feeling like you're alone/afraid of death/missing a loved one: The Five People You Meet In Heaven, Mitch Albom
Feeling like you can't do what you want to do: Dream Big, Lisa Hammond
Feeling like you can't express your feelings: poetry by Jim Carroll
Have you read The Catcher in the Rye yet? That is another one I just finished (at age 26) and it really spoke to me. Another one is Roots, especially considering you're interested in Obama/politics. Reading Roots made slavery much more real to even me, an American who lives in the South...and the fact that we have an African American president this early is not anything I expected to happen for a MUCH longer time...Roots follows an African and then his AA family members through several generations...research that time and our Civil Rights history and that will give another side completely to the Obama election, presidency, etc.
For an "easy read" I like Patricia Cornwell, have you tried her?

Back