• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books in the news?

Angelini

I am amazed at how much the final Harry Potter book has been in the news lately and I've been trying to think of another book that has had this much publicity. All I can think of is The da Vinci Code, but even that was only news because of its controversy as I recall. Have there been any books that have been as hyped as The Deathly Hallows? Has any book gotten as much press coverage as this in recent years, heck, even a long time ago?

No.

Will there ever be a series as gigantic as this again?

Doubt it.

Besides, the books deserve it; they are the perfect middle finger to all those who claim to know the ins and outs of literature. Great sentence structure? Nope. Heavy symbolism to pass on a message? Nope. Deeply explicit passages that go on and on and on to show the bombastic artistic style of the writer? Again, nope.

Shitloads of imagination, nice, innocent humor, a story that has continued to grow and stay interesting? Yeah, totally.

There won't be anything as good as Harry Potter for a long, long time. Which is fine, because Harry Potter is one of the few that deserves the fame.

Books in the news

I agree one hundred percent with you, even though I read The da Vinci Code, and it wasn't that bad, I don't think it deserved the kind of publicity it got. About the final Harry Potter book, I think is way overrated, it is not that great to begin with. I know there are better books out there that don't even get the recognition they deserve.

I'm pretty sure the huge success of that latest Potter wasn't due to the quality of the book (exactly HOW many were pre-ordered?!), but for the simple fact that, well, it's Harry Potter. Millions have grown up with Harry.

As for Da Vinci, if not for the fact that the book challenged the biggest belief of all time (and the controversy that Dan Brown plagiarized the whole darn thing), it would be just a really awesome mystery novel.

I agree, and I apologize. Mainly because I don't remember typing that...but I'm quite positive it was recent. My humblest apologies, and I'm not trying to be snide, even though I'm sure it's coming off that way.

I agree, and I apologize. Mainly because I don't remember typing that...but I'm quite positive it was recent. My humblest apologies, and I'm not trying to be snide, even though I'm sure it's coming off that way.

Not at all. And if you DO happen to have those magic six numbers as well...:D

Numbers for the UK national lottery. If I win a shedload of money with those six numbers I owe you a slice of it!

Back