• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books like Catcher in the Rye

It sounds like I have a lot of catch-up reading to do, but I don't think anything catches the tone and point of view the way Catcher does.
Clockwork Orange is superb though and a must read. It probably comes closest, especially in originality.
Virgin Suicides, maybe, but it is such a downer.
Zen didn't do it for me at all, Catcher comparison or no.
And Dostoevsky's Notes seems way too bleak and heavy.

So far, Holden is one of a kind for me, and I think the story is magnificent.

Just my two cents worth, but by all means keep on reading any of these. :flowers:

Right now off the top of my head I can think if:

Crazy- Benjamin Leber
Most books by Markus Zusak, especially I Am the Messenger and the Wolfe brothers series
Into the Wild- Jon Krakauer
Getting In- by James Finney Boylan when I read it...I just looked the author up though, and she is transgender, now going by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Hi, excuse my English, it is not my native language. Nobody posts there for long time, but want to share for one book which is similar. It's name is "The Camp of the Innocents" by Yasen Kalaidjieff. The author is Bulgarian and the book is advertised as Bulgarian "Cather in the Rye". Resently it was published in English. I'm sure you will like it if you like Cather as me.

Less Than Zero by Brent Easton Ellis is about a college-age guy returning to California for Christmas. He's no Holden Caulfield, but he's the most put-together character, and it's a great look at '80s excess - bored kids with tons of money and no restraints.

Lately I have read a few more of the novels mentioned up-thread to expand the list of my earlier post.

Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis is accurately described in the preceding post by jackball. Definitely a vivid story of wasted youth in all senses of the word.

Demian by Herman Hesse, a novel of a young man growing up and seeking, with an overall more philosophical tone.

Siddhartha, again by Herman Hesse, I found to be the most beautiful and uplifting of the books I have come across. Built around encounter with the Buddha, merged with Hesse's own philosophy.

Rasselas by Samuel Johnson (the Samuel Johnson), written in a much older, more pontificatory 18-th century style, is the story of a sequestered prince's search for "life" outside of his ostensibly perfect princedom. Slow going.

From vague recollection, one might also lump in Anthem by Ayn Rand, for her take on life and freedom. And a book I haven't read, but include by repute, The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. And, one more (only partly finished), Magister Ludi by Herman Hesse has a young man on the search. (Also known as The Glass Bead Game).

The books I have read might all be said to have the same theme of seeking but, still, nothing catches anything so lifelike and vivid as Holden's unique attitude. Still my favorite.

that'll be the day david essex film is like catcher in the rye

although its a film its kind of like c.i.t.r. did you ever read about the glass family and seymour etc

Back