• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books on doomsday scenarios ....

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr. (my personal favorite)
Earth Abides by George Stewart (another favorite)
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
On the Beach by Nevil Shute
The Postman by David Brin
Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein

Oh, yes. I must not forget this one.
Blindness by Jose Saramago. Excellent!

Thank you soooo much for all the suggestions :) , i will check them all out !
But if you know of any others please keep em coming.
I love this kind of theme to books !

I also enjoyed one called Alas Babylon by Pat Frank

I second this suggestion. Some good suggestions in this thread.

By "doomsday" do you mean kind of post-apocalyptic? If so, then I recommend I am Legend by Richard Matheson as well.

The Long Way Back (Reinhart) - People in a sailboat try to make it back to the U.S. after a nuclear war
Airship Nine (Block) - A passenger-carrying blimp is spared from WW III as it sails over the North Pole and rendezvous with a Soviet ship.
Dr. Strangelove - The plot of the movie was based on a straightforward novel called Red Alert, but a novelization was penned by Terry Southern. It is quite different from the film - delving into the characters a bit more - but just as good.
Dr. Bloodmoney (Or: How We Got Along After the Bomb) - Written by gonzo sci-fi legend Philip K. Dick, this novel focuses on residents of California after a nuclear accident in the '70s and a war in the '80s. Bizarre, to be sure, but interesting, with a good group of characters (including talking dogs).
Cat's Cradle (Vonnegut) - Classic Kurt. Ice-Nine, and so much more.

Back