• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books on/in/about London?

Sentinel

Hi, as an absolute London-phile and preparing for my umpteenth trip into this lovely bustling city, I am once again hunting for books (novels/fiction, mind you) that deal with/in London so much, that they could fit in a shelf under "London Fiction".

I recently acquired and read

- "Tunnel Vision" by Nick Lowe
- "Bleeding London" by Geoff Nicholson
- "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman

Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Thanks, Jan

Neverwhere has been sitting on my shelf for a while now. Keep meaning to read it but never quite got around to it.

Sorry, I can't think of any "London Fiction". Sherlock Holmes?

You should. I found it to be a very entertaining (and fast, it's a short book) read.

Sherlock Holmes, yeah obvious :)

I should add "roughly contemporary" to my description ;)

Jan

Christopher Fowler sets most of his books and short stories in London. He's a horror/fantasy writer (like Gaiman). His website is here.

Edward Rutherfurd wrote a book called 'London the novel', guessing that my be what your looking for. Not really for people after fiction about modern London as it starts in the Roman period and carries on straight through the 16th century.

Hope this has been a help, Bye.

I have three of Rutherford's books that I aquired recently. "London", "Sarum", and his latest, "The Forest" . All first editions. They are historical fiction. Haven't read any of them yet.

I really enjoyed London (the book). It is similar to Michener in scope. Rather than follow one character, you stay in one place and follow several characters, a chapter per century or so. Rather like reading interconnected short stories.

I've bought The Forest and it's on my to read shelf.

Back