1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books to film

Discussion in 'Film, Video, Television and Theatre' started by smblomker, Mar 19, 2013.

1. smblomker

smblomker New Member

I've read many books over the years that have been turned into movies. I've been watching the previews of the book, The Host by the twilight author. Yes, I've read the book but, it looks like its been changed some.
    I really hate when they change things around to make the movie more exciting. Do you think that it would be better for a book that's turned into a movie to follow the book or not?

2. regdog

regdog Moderator Staff Member

I've seen some adaptations that the changes worked, Last of the Mohicans, Lord of the Rings trilogy were some of them. Other adaptations were less than stellar. The Harry Potter movies 3-6 not good. I've always thought that when the movie ventures too far from the book, such as changing the ending, the movie should be billed as "based on the book".

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Odyssey by Homer
    Films that do justice to the book are few and far between. With a few exceptions, if I have read or if I plan to read the book, I ignore the film. The next exception will be The Hobbit, but only when I can watch the whole movie in one sitting.

4. Meadow337

Meadow337 Former Moderator

The problem with writing a script from a book is that the two mediums are completely different. An author must write their descriptions to draw the reader into the world, while a scriptwriter sets the bare minimum for a scene and fills it with dialogue, leaving the imaging entirely to the imagination of the director. So just there already a good % of the book just fell by the wayside.

Also you describe everything that happens in a book, while in a movie the audience can see it. And being visual a lot does not have to be said.

For example read this short extract from "One Good Knight" by Mercedes Lackey

If you turned this into a script it would look like this:

SCENE 10 - INTERIOR - THE QUEEN'S APARTMENT - DAY

Two royal guards stand before the doors. Princess Andie approaches and is let in.

SCENE 11: INTERIOR- THE QUEEN'S APARTMENT- A MOMENT LATER

A maid approaches

THE MAID​
    Please follow me, Princess.​
    SCENE 12: INTERIOR - THE QUEEN'S APARTMENT - CONTINUOUS

Princess Andie walks through several interconnecting chambers

SCENE 13: INTERIOR - THE QUEEN'S PRIVATE DINING ROOM

Seated at the table are The Queen, Solon and three ladies in waiting ....

You can see how information from the book gets lost / changed in the process.

pontalba likes this.
  5. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

Oy! For this Faulkner lover, that was harsh on the ears. I think they may be bleeding. But very informative. Many thanks, and I think I'll stick with books and literature.

6. Meadow337

yeah but you see the script is just the barest bones of the story... then comes the director with his vision, the set designer, the costume designer and last but not least the actors who also have their vision of the character.

7. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that that combination has produced many very attractive films.

What's to say? I like good films and good books, whether or not they are connected.

8. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Active Member

I think it also depends upon the book the director and 1 thousand other things.

9. pontalba

pontalba Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    dithering...
    Well.....

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist, found it on facebook.....only it's True! for me at least.

Carmen_, Hedwig and Meadow337 like this.
  10. Peder

Peder Well-Known Member

17 hours is about the right length. Lush and with all the scenes and dialogue. :D

11. Meadow337

Sadly however the movie studios / distribution / theaters want 90 mins max.

12. pontalba

pontalba Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    dithering...
    Philistines. :p

13. Meadow337

well no argument there.

14. Carmen_

Carmen_ New Member

After Love in the time of cholera I will not watch anymore books turned into movie!

15. Spiritchaser

Spiritchaser New Member

16. anu

anu Member

I watched The Bourne Legacy last night and I simply loved it. Earlier I had read Bourne Sanction and quite enjoyed it, but I ended up more intrigued by the villain Arkadin than the hero Jason Bourne.

But, movie Legacy was all about Aaron Cross keeping him in the centre and explaining the meds and Treadstone. It is the second time that I loved a movie based on books, first time it was Godfather. So, may be movies can do justice to literary world only if the Director has a vision for it.

17. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Active Member

Yes a movie can be just as good or even better than the book. It is just unfortunate that such directors are far and few between.

18. anu

anu Member

Totally agree. Right now I am reading Fall of Giants and Ken Follette's superb narration has made me rethink about the war novels and movies. Was never interested in the gory battles or boring history but now I am itching to see some good movies on the subject.

At the end of the day, both are creative media and a lot depends on the creator.

19. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Active Member

I dose indeed, a look at Stardust a bad book (or at least I think so :) ), but a good movie. How something in made it a great facter in the end result.

20. sparkchaser

sparkchaser Administrator and Stuntman Staff Member

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    I thought Stardust was pretty good.