• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you never quite understood

Ifeyinwa

Any books you never got the ending too?
Those in the know can help, those in the state of confusion.
For instance i did not understand the beach by alex garland

i did not understand the end - who were the people cutting him? And why didnt anybody help him until, the end? And i thought Daffy Duck was in his imagination, but how come Jed saw him too? And why was everyone going crazy, hash does not make you hallucinate.

When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro. The protagonist got crazier and crazier as the novel progressed, and it wasn't even clear at the end what country he was in--or had ever been in--or whether anything that he had said had any truth to it. The whole thing collapsed. It was such a weird, disjointed book. I don't understand what he's about at all.

Now he has a new one out, Never Let Me Go, and I'm thinking, based on the reviews, that it has some equally confusing territory.

song of solomon by toni morrison. while i really enjoyed the language and the characters, some of the plot eludes me and i am unsure of milkman's fate at the end. and if he did die, why?

Geenh said:
A Clockwork Orange

Whew.......
One of the editions that I've read even had translations of the words in the back of the book. Don't think I noticed it until halfway into the book.

Burgess supposedly wanted the readers to sit with russian dictionaries to get a better understanding of the words however.

Anything by Faulkner -- I typically never have any problems with dialects, but for some reason I read the first 40 pages of As I Lay Dying and still have no clue what the book is about, lol. Same with The Sound and The Fury, tried it, with some luck, but still....I gave up.

Back