• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you once found boring...

tallwhitegirl

Have any of you experienced reading a book (or, more accurately, partially reading) when you were younger and absolutely hated it, but picked it up again years later to find that you love it? If so, what book?

I recently picked up Walden for a book club. I hated it when I was in high school, but as a mature adult, a lot of what Thoreau has to say is terrific advice. I still won't become a neo-hippie and live completely off the land, but a lot of his opinions strike a realistic chord with me. I'm glad that I picked it up again. It's definitely one that won't be going in the "sell back to the used bookstore" pile.

I'm trying to think of a specific example, but I know a lot of the opposite has happened to me. There were some books I absolutely LOVED as a kid, and now as I read them I ask myself what I was thinking.

I know that happens to me, I read a book and can't get through and then try it again later, but I can't think of an exact example right now.

To me it was "In cold blood", which I read when I was about 15 and couldn't finish it, but now that "Capote" is opening here, I was curious and picked it up again. To my surprise I finished it in 48 hs and was very pleased.

Pride and Prejudice is mine. I started it on numerous occasions when I was younger and always found it incredibly boring. I picked up last year before the film release and couldnt put it down! It's one of my favourite books now.

Well I'm still pretty young...but still...:rolleyes:

I tried reading The Hobbit when I was 9 and found it really boring, then last summer I read it in 3 days. It was great!

Inkheart said:
Pride and Prejudice is mine. I started it on numerous occasions when I was younger and always found it incredibly boring. I picked up last year before the film release and couldnt put it down! It's one of my favourite books now.

I love this book as well its one of my favs but i didnt read it when i was younger as i couldnt get in to it either

Inkheart said:

Me too! :) I read it in school, but back then I was to young and untrained in the art of reading ;), and I didn't understand that Ms. Austen was being Ironic and Critical of Society ;). I just thought they were rather silly and drank alot of tea. Since then I've read many of Ms. Austen's works and have become a fan, although I guess if you're gonna be mean you could sum them up like this:

http://rinkworks.com/bookaminute/b/austen.shtml

And isn't that a wonderful webpage anyway! Wish I'd had that when I was forced to read The Sun Also Rises. That was another school assignment, but unlike Pride and Prejudice, I still don't like that one!

i know people are gonna think im crazy when i say this :eek: but i actually dont like pride and prejudice very much..no doubt it was an interesting read but i think too much hype surrounds it..i read it when i was about 15 and again when i was 18 (ive just turned 20) and it still hasnt revealed itself to be anything special. i do like jane austen though, especially "emma" and "persuasion"

Wish I'd had that when I was forced to read The Sun Also Rises. That was another school assignment, but unlike Pride and Prejudice, I still don't like that one!

You're not alone in not liking The Sun Also Rises. I have a bad taste in my mouth for anything Hemingway and I've tried to read his works several times - never to enjoy them. Perhaps when I'm eighty and bored out of my mind I won't find his works so boring and dull.

Back