• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

books you would recommend to 17-year-old avid reader...

GiselleLevy17

i love being introduced to new books & eventually being hooked onto it for a very long time! any suggestions?
i just read the kite runner and a thousand splendid suns and i LOVED it! i just can't get enough of it, so i keep re-reading it.

can anyone suggest books that are similar or just as good as khaled hosseini's?

Books For Teens And Following

From School Library Journal
Silvey has put together contemporary and classic adult and YA titles that meet her criteria for exemplary writing and wide appeal. Familiar groupings such as "Fantasy," "Historical Fiction," and "Mystery" accompany newer subject areas such as "Many Cultures, Many Realities," "Edgy, Trendsetting Novels," and "Politics and Social Conscience." Nonfiction titles, such as Into Thin Air and Young Men and Fire, are included in the "Adventure and Survival" category, and a unique chapter called "Information" contains books such as Undaunted Courage, Nickel and Dimed, and Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story about Brain Science. All Printz Award-winners and honor books are included, as well as some Newberys, Pulitzers, National Book Awards, and other noteworthy winners. In a conversational tone, Silvey introduces each chapter, noting characteristics of the genre followed by a two- or three-paragraph description of each book briefly outlining the plot and other elements such as writing style, themes, and significance to young adult literature. Silvey's classics include Hound of the Baskervilles, Our Town, and To Kill a Mockingbird, but librarians will agree she has a pulse on contemporary titles that will endure, such as The Da Vinci Code, Looking for Alaska, I Am the Messenger, and A Certain Slant of Light. Extras include a time line, geographical location for settings, additional titles for each subject area, and a list of recommended audiobooks.—Vicki Reutter, Cazenovia High School, NY
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

I was intrigued enough by your question to put books for teens into my search engine and while i found a zillion hits i think this one would be most helpful to you ... ENJOY

Based on what you've said you enjoyed, I think you'd really love "The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden" by Catherynne M. Valenti. It's a dense, multi-layered book in which an outcast, possibly magical girl tells stories to a prince every night in the garden of his family's palace. All the stories are interrelated, and they ultimately combine to tell the story of the girl herself.

If you have not read it, I recommend Of Mice and Men if you haven't read it already. It's a classic. It's one of my favorite books, and it is short so it will not take up a lot of your time. I think it is interesting from the persepective of a young man who probably has a lot of big dreams and plans for the future.

Back