• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bookshelves

Infinity

Do you know where to get those huge old-fashioned bookshelves? Enormous bookshelves that you have to climb up staircase to get books! If they don't sell those anymore, what kind of bookshelves would you recommend me buy? Also, how much is the possible capacity? 1000 books on a bookshelf?

Thanks.

Why not build them yourself, right into the wall? I'd love to do it myself, but somebody won't let me. :mad: That way the framing can support some of the weight rather than simply expecting the floor to carry it all. I thought that this was how huge bookshelves like that were made to begin with. If you design them yourself you can dictate the capacity and setup within the normal restrictions of what your wood can handle. My one tip is to use HARD wood. Something like pine isn't made to hold up to that kind of abuse.

Hmm, I don't know how to build that kind of shelves. Besides, I wouldn't enjoy seeing my wall damaged due to my poor skill. :p

Perhaps you could hire someone. I really don't think you are going to find something that large on the commercial market. If you think about it, they would be too hard to fit to different room sizes. I can certainly understand the hesitancy about doing it yourself, but perhaps someone you know (with building talent) would be looking for some extra money around the holidays.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll hire a carpenter and tell him to build for me some tall, huge bookshelves to place in my Library Room! Lol, how bibliophilic I am (and we are!). :)

i love those, they look so classy. the one book store in Uni of Penn [a barnes and noble chain] had them everywhere. i'd love to own them some day

Back