• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brainwaves and stuff

Martin said:
You just think alike; that's naturally, you're siblings. It's still a long way away from telepathy.

<insert excrutiating smiley here>

Cheers
i totally disagree with this. my sister and i are polar opposites. we are close, but we don't think alike AT ALL and we have completely different tastes. yet we very often have instances where we say or think the exact same thing from out of no where.

i don't think we know enough about the mind to dismiss things like this. true enough that much is coincidence, but many instances are so much more than that.

My mom and I usually know when one of us is going to call the other. We have no particular schedule for calling, but almost every time the receiver of the call knows its coming!

Also Ive been 'sending' to my daughter since she was little. I discovered this accidently when I randomly thought about a toy or article of clothing and she would always have it by the next day. I would purposely think of toys and clothes she hardly used-as an experiment-and it still worked!

Over the years, I usually know 'stuff' before she tells me, if shes out and she calls, I know its coming and what shes going to ask.

Ive also had many experiences like sanujya wrote about - knowing whats going to happen beforehand. The two that stand out most painfully was when I was sitting on a bench watching and air-hockey match. A thought went off in my head that said-"move, you're going to get hit with the puck".(I was easily 10ft. from the table) I thought, "thats stupid-why did I think that. WHAM! The puck hit me right in the forehead. I've never seen that happen before or since. From then on I always paid attention to these precognitions and have saved myself from other mishaps.

The second one was the mini-van we bought last year. From day one I had a bad feeling that the thing was going to hurt me. (Ive never felt this way about a car before!) I had to ignore this 'thought' because it was our only transportation. Sure enough, one morning it refused to decellerate,lost control on a new gravel road, landed in a ditch & broke my nose and eye socket. This was my first and only car accident.

So, regardless of what any non-belivers might say, its worked for me. :)

i've had that happen a few times as well. the one that i remember most vividly is:
i used to have a job where i drove a lot and one day i was driving on a long straight road with not too much traffic. a guy in a trans am comes up and cuts me off to get into the left turn lane. in canada, we have left turn lanes and you can only turn left in them- not go straight. anyway, he's in the left turn lane, first in line. i'm behind a car, second in line to go straight. i'm looking at the trans am and the thought occurs to me that he would go straight, using the left turn lane to get ahead of my line instead of turning. i had never seen anyone do it nor had i ever thought of doing that before, the thought of him doing it just popped into my head. well, that's exactly what the trans am guy did. i was so shocked my jaw dropped. it was so unexpected for him to actually do it, even though the thought was in my head.

First and foremost, I'm not saying we (us puny humans) know everything there is to know about the human brain and such; not at all.

What I am saying is that there's been research into this entire Deja Vu-thingy, and it has been proven (up to the point that it is at all possible to prove such a thing) that it is simply the brain telling you that you've been there before. And of course you believe it, because hey, it's your bloody brain telling you, why would it lie to you? Don't ask me how they did this, because I'm not a neuro-scientist. Just telling you what I've read and seen quite a few times.

On the predicting of the future. I personally don't believe in it. I bet there's more to our mental capabilities than we know at this point, but actually predicting the future? No. Interpreting the present and extrapolating the most likely immediate future (consciously or subconsciously)? Probably.

Cheers

Martin said:
On the predicting of the future. I personally don't believe in it. I bet there's more to our mental capabilities than we know at this point, but actually predicting the future? No. Interpreting the present and extrapolating the most likely immediate future (consciously or subconsciously)? Probably.
I dont believe thats true at all. Most of the times that I've known what was going to happen, there was nothing to interpret in the present to lead to that thought. I've watched lots of air-hockey before and since and only that one time thought I'd get hit. Also the mini-van had nothing wrong with it, it had no 'Christine' or 'Trucks' resemblances, and I've never had an accident before or since. It was several months before the crash that I got this feeling. What do you think I or my subconscious interpreted beforehand in these situations?

And in Jenem's story, if the guy cut her off to get into the left turn lane,why would she get the thought that he was going to cut back and go straight, especially since she'd never seen anyone do it before?

A friend of mine was driving in the middle of the night on an empty road when a voice in her head said 'Get off the road or you'll get killed.' She pulled over (she knew there had to be a reason for that thought). Thirty seconds later out of nowhere a car came speeding down the road, going the wrong way. Had she ignored this warning, she would have been hit head on! How could she have known that?

I think you and your friends should go work for the FBI - you could prevent a lot of murders. Ever seen Minority Report?

Cheers

Martin said:
I agree with you that we can subconsciously notice behaviors (someone's driving style or their mannerisms as they talk to you and respond to the surroundings) and intuitively know something. Novella started a thread on a book about intuition, which is what some things could be chalked up to. However, even as a skeptic, I will not discount the power of what we do not know, even in the stories submitted to us on this thread. I mean, subatomic particles can be in two places at once. Could we be in two different times at once? Electrons appear to be connected by something that we have no explanation for. Are they connected through another plane of existence? An unknown quantum force that could link all things? "Use the force, Luke." Sorry. I had to do it, had to give in to the Dork Side. Anyway, if any of these explanations ever come about, they may link ESP with quantum physics. I don't believe in ESP whole heartedly, but I can't say it's a load of a hooey... for now, anyway.

Technological breakthroughs always bring some hope for solving age old problems, even though they are usually double edged swords. Do you think if we discovered that everyone has some level of ESP, some way to open a window between each other, that the human situation would improve? Would we be able to connect in a way never before possible? Or would it improve some lives drastically while making more slaves and conflict for the rest?

I'm such an idealist, and I would love to think that if we were all gifted in a such a way that we could understand each other as never before. Could you imagine touching the mind of someone who survived genocidal acts or childhood abuse? How would anyone be able to commit violent acts after feeling the pain as if it were his own? Maybe it could do away with the us-versus-them mentality that evolution blessed us with, but the realist in me knows that, no matter what, someone will always be there to seize the moment. Some would be more gifted, others less gifted, and the usual game would resume. Sorry to be such a downer, guys; I suck.

i was going to say the same thing. while i do believe that humans are innately moral, there are always those kids who ruin the trip for everyone. we seem to have the ability to take a good thing, and **** it up.

jenngorham said:
i was going to say the same thing.
Good. I was sending that to you. Now, you're thinking, "Hey, this guy's pretty funny, and for some reason, I want to write him in on the ballot for prime minister."

RitalinKid said:
Good. I was sending that to you. Now, you're thinking, "Hey, this guy's pretty funny, and for some reason, I want to write him in on the ballot for prime minister."

it's true. and oddly last night i dreamt that you and i would have a conversation about what a sparkling conversationlist i am, and how the inner workings of my mind just keep you up at night.
i am really good at this.

jenngorham said:
quick rk, what are you having for breakfast.....omigod so am i!!!!!
Yeah, I mean, not everybody eats a bowl of oatmeal with Splenda and a cherry GF-Pro protein shake every morning. We're definitely linked through something. Something that allows small pieces of information, "bits" you might say, to be transferred very quickly to people both near and far. ;)

Well, according to edition.cnn.com, it looks like you might get your chance to write me in on a ballot in June, and then, I'll make sure every Canadian eats oatmeal... and does 50 pushups, 50 situps, and 50 chinups every morning before they get to eat it. After his stint as California governor, Schwarzenegger will be appointed to the newly formed Ministry of Muscle, and all Canadians will become buff. The steroid oxandrolone will be distributed liberally. Then, with mind control and muscles, the world will be at Canada's mercy. Is this off topic?

Hey, RitKid, you don't have to teach those Maritimers anything about muscle. A longline fisherman can lift a Chevy in one hand. Right, jenn? :D

novella said:
Hey, RitKid, you don't have to teach those Maritimers anything about muscle. A longline fisherman can lift a Chevy in one hand. Right, jenn? :D

yes it's true. all maritimers are exceedingly buff. we even have a song about it, called chainsaw earle.

And nobody knew neither foe or friend
That Earle had grown to seven foot ten
Arms like cupboards
Legs like trees
Fists like hammers
And hairy knees

sadly earle was "as stunned as me arse" and burnt down the whole town.

uh rk, i am confused. our connection must be lost, i'm using the microwave. aren't you american? how could you become our pm? is there a little takeover party planned down there that i don't know about?

Back