• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brandon Sanderson

readsalot

The Mistborn Trilogy was a lovely series.... perhaps on the long side, but great all the same. It's fantasy but believable.

The Way of Kings was all right too.

I haven't read any of his other works besides starting to read Alloy of Law.

Mistborn for me was ok. I think. Wasn't terribly terrible. If you're up for my long-ish review (you know, to go with the theme of a long novel), jump here.

A quick excerpt from the post:
I must admit I was compelled to stop reading several times early on in the novel. It wasn’t so much that the novel was incredibly badly written, it’s just the initial tedium of the prose and the clumsy scenes. There was one near the start where the thieving crew leader has a honest-to-goodness meeting that features perhaps the only medieval brainstorm session in literature (complete with a meeting secretary to take minutes!) to discuss ways to take down a ruling regime in place for thousands of years. The action items from this meeting was so open-ended and, in corporate parlance, ‘high-level’ that I literally laughed out loud. I have been party to many a corporate meeting, and having to read about one in a fantasy world is just wrong.

Books 2 and 3 are sitting on my shelf, so maybe one of these days.

I have read Elantris too, and being a standalone novel, it wasn't too bad. It's becoming a novel approach to finish a fantasy story in a single book, so in that the book is commendable.

I stopped a lot too, but I think that was more my life than the book. It was memorable enough to be able to pick up where I left off and still enjoy the end.

I read The Way of Kings in about a week and I thought it was pretty awesome. The kind of fantasy I really enjoy and rarely find.

Do you think that I would like the Mistborn series if I liked The Way of Kings a lot?

Way of Kings is way longer than the mistborn series, book for book anyway. (As a trilogy Mistborn would be longer, so if you consider it one story, then I guess it's longer) Personally, I liked Mistborn better, but I've heard Way of Kings on audio and enjoyed that too.

They're different. I think the cast of characters is slightly smaller, but the world building skill Sanderson used so well in Kings is still very much a part of Mistborn.
Go for it.

I ordered all 3 mistborn books off amazon for 17 bucks. If you liked it better than way of kings I am sure I'll probably like it.

I heard the way of kings series is supposed to be 10 books total, which will be pretty impressive if he can make them all good and 1200 pages each haha.

When is the next Way of Kings book coming out? Yeah, 1200 pgs is very, very long. I heard it as an audio...unabridged and I think it had like 36 cds or something like that.

Cool. Let me know what you think of it as you move along. I got the boxed set too b/c it was so reasonably priced.

I just finished the first book of the mistborn series. I enjoyed it a lot, though as of now I still like the way of kings better.

The magic system in mistborn is really cool for sure though. I liked the magic and fighting more and more as the book progressed. The book was really solid in my opinion. Starting book two tonight.

Excellent. Magic sys is one of my favorite aspects of the series.
Do you have a favorite character? I don't remember all that much, it's been a few years, but I remember Vin and the noble and the Terrisman.

kelsier is my favorite character. I like his back story/attitude, it's pretty cool. I don't really like the nobleman as of now, but it seems like he is going to be big in book two, so what can you do? haha

Yup, the nobleman'll (Elend) be back, but he gets more likable as the series moves on. He's rather a stuffshirt in the first book. Kelsier's certainly got a lot of attitude.

I like Vin cause she's got the superpowers :p

I was much excited in fantasizing all that I read about in The Way of the Kings. It was great. Similarly the magic experience in Mistborn was awesome

I liked that Mistborn was relatively short :p I think the audiobook for Way of Kings was two separate books of 30 CDs or something crazy like that.

Okay, so I know I'm digging up the past, but I thought I'd resurrect this thread to let you all know that IMHO Sanderson's new YA book, Steelheart is an excellent read and you should definitely give it a go. (Check out the amazon reviews. 8 so far, 6 - :star5: and 2 :star4:)

Amazon says it's not available until Sept, but that probably means it's a good time to beg a library to buy it for you or pre-order.

Rithmatist was just all right...but it's more for a middle grade audience and compared to steelheart was downright boring (though it's a totally different world.)

Back