• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bret Easton Ellis: Imperial Bedrooms

1985viv

Hi, i'm currently reading Ellis' latest novel: Imperial Bedrooms, essentially a sequel to his first novel Less Than Zero. I couldn't find a thread around here so thought i'd start one, seem to be a few Bret Easton Ellis fans around so i'm sure a few people are either looking forward to reading it or have already read it, would be cool to hear some opinions.

I'm really interested in Imperial Bedrooms - I just re-read Less Than Zero just to have it fresh in my mind before starting on the new on. I'd love to hear some of your impressions of it so far.

Impressions so far...mmmm.

There is a distinct shift at the end, perhaps ellis' most subtle mechanism yet for changing realities ( if you know of the narrative shift in American Psycho and and paradigm rupture in Glamorama you'll know what I mean ).

There are also a few key phrases, that really highlight the position of the books philosophy quite concisely. Ill put a review on my blog so will dig them out for that.

I think i've read all of his work accept the informers and rules of attraction. I think that American Psycho is an odd one out in many ways.... just fits awkwardly in his oeuvre. Guess he was trying to do something quite specific with that. Glamorama is too ambitious, but like many literary works provides as many talking points for its flaws as it does for its accomplishments.

As a stand alone book I urge new-comers to Ellis to read it, it's a great example of his work, it's a refined and accomplished book that I suspect is his most auto-biographical work since his earlier novels. Especially the last line. - Which is interesting if you juxtapose it with the first line which is a statement of "they made a movie about us" - 1st person, Less Than Zero was, in reality, made in an actual movie...... Once again the big question of how much Bret Easton Ellis put's into his work raises its head.

I hope more people read this book and post comments, im really left bewildered after finishing - thought I knew Ellis, unsure now....

I looked at the plot of the first book,and it didn't look too interesting.

I have read Ellis' American Psycho,which was just alright.

Germaine Greer once commented about Bret Easton Ellis and said 'boredom is not a literary device'.

A certain level of disinterested detachment is what Ellis is all about ( for me any way ). For example the long rambling parts in American Psycho about Bateman's favourite bands are not to be taken seriously, they are to be dipped into with the nonchalance and fickleness of a consumer. This detached nuance the reader experiences in his works is what the Ellisean world is all about, essentially everyone is isolated. This mechanism would execute in such a profound manner if the reader felt enthusiastic empathy for all characters and situations in the text.

Started Imperial bedrooms today. I am in the rare position of, having just finished Less than Zero, reading Ellis' first and also his most recent story and absolutely nothing of his other work (I think).
I am very interested. All of the characters from Less than Zero are very fresh in my mind and at least so far I think that the way he approaches this novel as a "sequel" is kind of interesting

I just finished this... Viv are you out there? I am bewildered and confused too.
I couldn't stop reading the book, so it gets points there, but wow what a ride.
Clay's descent, or rather the way Ellis slowly reveals Clay's level of depravity and disconnection is sort of shocking.
My feelings from Less than Zero regarding Clay were sort of sympathetic, and that carried me into the first part of Imperial Bedrooms.... but about half way in you are starting to see .... by three quarters of the way in, I sort of found myself wishing Rip would just kill him. :whistling:

The ending left me completely confused, and while I know Ellis is considered a great talent, and I am probably missing something key..... It felt like he just got tired of writing this story and decided to stop.
I also was not able to come to a resolution about who was responsible for what, and what the ultimate motive for many of the events really were.
One thing I will say is that there is definitely a lot of meat for discussion....
Interested to hear from anybody else who has read this.

Less Than Zero was named for an Elvis Costello tune. So is Imperial Bedrooms - “Life turns out like a TV serial”, sang Elvis in that song.
So the best man will do his best again
Now they're getting dressed again
Blushing bright red from her head to her feet
Sneaking out of the bridal suite
The imperial bedroom, the regal boudoir
This casual acquaintance led to an intimate bonsoir
We know who you're with and where you are
In the imperial bedroom, the regal boudoir

Which provides a nice undertone for the whole book. "They made a movie about us," Clay re-starts his story, 25 years after we left him in Less Than Zero. Clay's not happy with Ellis' book either, the way that wannabe writer turned him into some sort of
... handsome and dazed narrator, incapable of love or kindness. That’s how I became the damaged party boy who wandered through the wreckage, blood streaming from his nose, asking questions that never required answers. That’s how I became the boy who never understood how anything worked. That’s how I became the boy who wouldn’t save a friend. That’s how I became the boy who couldn’t love the girl.
But at least, Clay grants, the book stuck to what actually happened, whereas the movie turned into a pastel-coloured anti-drug ad that none of them recognized. But the years came and went, and now Clay's the one writing movie scripts. Sometimes they even let him help with the casting. So once again, he returns to Hollywood from the east coast, and when a beautiful but awful actress offers him herself in return for a role... why not? And all his old "friends" are still here, still in the business they grew up in, and soon the plot starts to look awfully familiar.

Ellis' novels have always had a metafictional layer, especially his last one (Lunar Park), and it's here too: Clay is the narrator not only of the novel, but as a supposedly successful screenwriter of the entire American dream. And so, bizarrely, Imperial Bedrooms becomes Ellis' perhaps tightest plot ever; a typical noir detective story, with femmes fatales, friends in trouble, mighty people behind the scenes and a heroic role for Clay to play... if he can only stay sober, and stop bursting into tears without warning, and if he's even allowed to meddle with the plot...

Writing a sequel to a generational novel like Less Than Zero isn't easy; you have to somehow make it more than just an epiologue, write a new novel that says something more without invalidating the original. And in its best moments, Imperial Bedrooms is quite good, a vicious slapstick about a Hollywood (and a society hooked on Hollywood stories) that just keeps recycling itself, hiding the emptiness that was already there in the first novel under layers of plastic surgery. Where you can't shoot an 80s period piece since every young actress is 20 pounds lighter and 2 bra sizes bigger then she would have been in '85. Where writers are supposed to write stories that only appear to surprise but really just confirm what we already know. Where everyone can be written out or killed to forward the same old plot - and not just in the movies.
I don’t recognize Rip at first. His face is unnaturally smooth, redone in such a way that the eyes are shocked open with perpetual surprise; it’s a face mimicking a face, and it looks agonized.
And in the middle of it all is Clay, hero, rugged good guy out to clear his name, and the one who narrates the story runs the world... except that he might just be horribly mistaken of what his role is here. Because in a big machine, no one cog can ever do anything but turn around and grind.

And yet. For all its interesting meta angles, and as interesting it is to revisit the characters, the story doesn't hold up completely. Ellis' fans and critics have always agreed that his books deal with sensationalism, superficiality, materialism etc - they just can't agree if his books are a parody of it or an example of it. And as much as I'm sure he likes playing up that ambiguity, Imperial Bedrooms doesn't so much balance on that fine line as lean, half-bored, against it. For every good scene, there's a few too many that just kick in doors that have been open since Sunset Boulevard. It chugs along, feeling like a Bret Easton Ellis novel, but doesn't really go anywhere. Like far too many Hollywood sequels, it reminds us why we liked the original, but it means less.

:star3:

Thanks for the post BG. Intersting article. It is sort of nice to read author interviews that don't feel canned or scripted. The more rambling the better in my opinion.

Back