• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bringing out the Dead by Joe Connelly

garyinhere

I started this book a few days ago and am currently a little past half way through it.
The first thing that I have to say is how well the author pulls you into the story. I've always say that when a book brings out an emotion, good or bad, he is doing something right. I feel as if my mind is slowly slipping away along with the main character's. It has definitely been a hard book to put down.
The second thing is the cultural shock that I'm feeling. The story takes place in Hell's Kitchen which seems to be a place that not many are able to escape, both in the book and in real life. The sheer volume of people in that area amazes me. Hospitals are full and not accepting patients, which also seems like a death sentence in some insistences. I'm from a small town with a population of 300 people. Most of these people are farmers or work in the next town over fifteen miles away. That town only has 10,000 people in it. I couldn't imagine the kind of stress it would be to work as an EMT and be constantly battling the civilians, hospitals, and a decaying mental state at the same time. Whew, what a story!
Would definitely recommend it to a friend and would love to hear more thoughts on the story!

Talk about a tense book. I finished it today and I'm going to watch the movie tonight to see if it holds up. Action packed until the very end. The ending was kind of weak but it was a very warming moment.
If you haven't read it, I definitely recommend it!!!

Back