• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bubblin' Books for Jan '14

shadforth

Have you chosen any books to read in the new year yet? I have,but that doesn't mean I'll read 'em all!
Already started Familiar by J.Robert Lennon on my kindle earlier than expected. Also bubbling in the pot are
An Officer And A Spy by Robert Harris,Proxima by Stephen Baxter,The Woman In Black:Angel Of Death by Martin Waites,and A Brother's Fury by Giles Kristian.

Nope I go by what I feel like reading at the time and I get books on more or less the same basis. When I have read enough of the books I haven't yet read to feel like oh oops needs some more books then I go on the prowl and find some.

I also get books on the basis of recommendations, and whatever catches my eye. I have no formal plans to specifically read this or that.

Hi Shadforth,
This is my year to read some classic oldies:

Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
Daniel Deronda - George Eliot
Washington Square - Henry James
Kept in the Dark - Anthony Trollope
The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
The Wings of the Dove - Henry James
The Way of all Flesh - Samuel Butler

plus more recent:
Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
This Side of Paradise -F. Scott Fitzgerald
Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry
The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford
Parade's End - Ford Madox Ford
Howards End - E.M. Forster
11/22/63 - Stephen King

plus a reread of one of my all-time favorites
Last Exit to Brooklyn - Hubert Selby, Jr.

all on my Kindle, ready to go,
plus others for pure relaxation to round out the year,
and absolutely no Edith Wharton!

And, if it all happens, it will be a year for immense celebration.
But a man's gotta try. :D

All the best to you this coming year.
Peder

Last edited:
Never heard of any of 'em,Peder! Only joking! Good luck with reading them.
I usually have my eye on at least 3 or 4 titles I fancy reading,but quite often get distracted by browsing online or in the library,Meadow.

More a list of things to read in all of 2014 rather than just January. It's mostly non-fiction as I'm now in full research mode. :D

Fiction:
Ray Badbury, Fahrenheit 451
Alexander McCall Smith, Morality for Beautiful Girls
Antoine Lauraine, The President's Hat
James Joyce, Ulysses
James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

Non Fiction:
Vincent Cheng, Joyce, Race, and Empire
Vincent Cheng, Shakespeare and Joyce: a Study of Finnegans Wake
David Weir, Anarchy and Culture: the Aesthetic Politics of Modernism
Denis Judd, The Boer War
Keith Wilson (ed.), The International Impact of the Boer War
Andrew Gibson, Joyce's Revenge: History, Politics, and Aesthetics in Ulysses
Umberto Eco, Talking of Joyce
Umberto Eco, Le Poetiche di Joyce (translated version)
Victor Luftig & Robert Spoo, Joyce and the Subject of History
Robert Spoo, James Joyce and the Language of History
Harold Bloom, Blake's Apocalypse
John McCourt, The Years of Bloom: James Joyce in Trieste, 1904-1920
Frank Field, The Last Days of Mankind: Karl Kraus and his Vienna
Wilma Abeles Iggels, Karl Kraus: a Viennese Critic of the Twentieth Century

Howard's End is beautiful.
Ahh, Meadow, glad to hear that. Maybe I'll start with it. Some of the Victorians have a tendency to glaze my eyes over, like Far From the Madding Crowd.

Never heard of any of 'em,Peder! Only joking! Good luck with reading them.
I usually have my eye on at least 3 or 4 titles I fancy reading,but quite often get distracted by browsing online or in the library,Meadow.
That's why this year I have them written down. Distraction is the great enemy, but so much fun. :D

I love E. M. Forster - all of his books are worth reading :) although there are a few I also need to get to. For me A Passage to India is the best (of the one's I've read). The other one of his I have read is A Room With A View which is also beautiful.

And special to Polly: It has been a long time since I have been in awe, but you have done it! :)
Congratulations on your fine research list, and best success with your research.
Plus some enjoyment along the way.
Peder

And special to Polly: It has been a long time since I have been in awe, but you have done it! :)
Congratulations on your fine research list, and best success with your research.
Plus some enjoyment along the way.
Peder

Aww, thanks. :)

Most of it I will enjoy reading but some of it is a little heavy going so will need extra coffee so I won't fall asleep.

This is just the start by the way, I'm sure my supervisors will make me read several other books.

I love E. M. Forster - all of his books are worth reading :) although there are a few I also need to get to. For me A Passage to India is the best (of the one's I've read). The other one of his I have read is A Room With A View which is also beautiful.

I think I half-read Passage to India, but whichever book it was, I really enjoyed the half of it. (I forgot the book someplace and lost it).
Plus I have good memories of the movie Room With a View. Again, if that is the story I am thinking of.
It all gets so vague after a number of years fly by. :(

I think I half-read Passage to India, but whichever book it was, I really enjoyed the half of it. (I forgot the book someplace and lost it).
Plus I have good memories of the movie Room With a View. Again, if that is the story I am thinking of.
It all gets so vague after a number of years fly by. :(

LOL trust me it doesn't have to be sooo many years either :)

Hi Shadforth,
This is my year to read some classic oldies:

The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
The Wings of the Dove - Henry James
The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford

Read those three for uni a few years ago. I liked The Turn of the Screw, however, The Wings of the Dove I just couldn't get myself to finish. :( The Good Soldier is a little strange I think but enjoyable nonetheless.

Not sure if you were going to read A Passage to India as well but I liked that one too. :D

Read those three for uni a few years ago. I liked The Turn of the Screw, however, The Wings of the Dove I just couldn't get myself to finish. :( The Good Soldier is a little strange I think but enjoyable nonetheless.

Not sure if you were going to read A Passage to India as well but I liked that one too. :D

A Passage to India might get in there someplace. As for the others, this time I am really determined to grit my teeth, if necessary, to get through them. (A couple are for a decades reading challenge elsewhere but, finally I really do want to read examples from the authors mentioned.)

I'm planning on reading The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings after finally getting around to watching the movies and LOVING them more than I thought!

No doubt I will read others but those are yet to be decided :)

Back