• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Building a Library.

velocipede2288

How do you go about building a personal library?
Arnold Bennett suggests that we should spend three percent of our income in order to build a good library.
I believe it can be done for a good deal less by buying second hand. I have done this by visiting used book shops and buying from such places as amazon.com in the used book area. Often these books are like new anyway.
And I have accumulated around two thousand books in this way over the years.
What are the views of the readers on this? And have you set about collecting the classics as a means of self improvement, along with more general works?

I have just gotten books that sound interesting to me. Very little non-fiction. I would say that I am around 97-98% fiction. Not a lot of them are true classics, but some may be considered classics in ten-twenty years. I am not sure if there are any books that we could say "should be in everyone's library", because it's a matter of taste. But I truly believe that reading is a huge part of human development.

I also agree with you that one can spend less then 3% of their income and still have a tremendous library. I think you proved that. You have over three times as many books as I do. And I haven't even come close to 3% of my income.

I have never thought in terms of financial ressources. Ich have a list of books that I want to read AND possess - mainly classics and modern classics, some contemporary authors. I follow this list quite carefully, even if I can't spend to much money on books right now. With used books, christmas wishes, etc it is possible to acquire quite some books for little money.

3% can be very different, depending on ones income, but are surely enough - at least as long as you don't look for really good editions or as long as you are patient enough to give your library some more years to develop.

BTW - I'm new in this forum and as you might have noticed, I am not a native speaker. So don't be to mad if I make mistakes. :)

How do you go about building a personal library?
Arnold Bennett suggests that we should spend three percent of our income in order to build a good library.
I believe it can be done for a good deal less by buying second hand. I have done this by visiting used book shops and buying from such places as amazon.com in the used book area. Often these books are like new anyway.
And I have accumulated around two thousand books in this way over the years.
What are the views of the readers on this? And have you set about collecting the classics as a means of self improvement, along with more general works?

I have a very small library, around 400 books on 2 cases, many classics and collections from my favorite authors. My small library is without a theme. I would love to have the money and space to build the library of my dreams...

Do you buy strictly hardcover with nice bindings? Or does it matter? I started buying classics from the folio Society, but they are very expensive and very limited on their offerings. I do buy some used hardcover classics on ebay, but there are quite a few collectors that keep the prices elevated.

I, for one, would only buy a leather bound book if it's a classic AND I want to pass the book down to my children, their children, etc etc. Otherwise, I just accumulate books as I read them. I think my 'library' is a pretty accurate reflection of me and my interests.

Back