• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Caballistics Inc. (2000AD)

Themistocles

A strip whose introduction coincided with the first prog I decided to purchase, Caballistics, Inc. has been a staunch favourite throughout the last couple of years, bested perhaps only by the incomparable Asylum. The hybrid of Lovecraftian gothic horror with wry humour and the numerous references to all manner of cult creations scattered throughout, accentuated by the stark, rough, stylised artistic style have made it a firm favourite of mine. At the moment it's the only series really worth reading...

Thoughts, anyone?

I'm just going to damn it with faint praise! I can't say that I'm really bothered about this strip - yes, I read it and I usually quite enjoy it, but I wouldn't really miss it if it wasn't there. To be honest, I think a lot of the references go over my head, because I'm not really very knowledgeable about demon mythology and horror films and literature. The art used to annoy me as I'm not generally keen on black and white, sort of "simple" art, but I've got used to it now.

At the moment, I prefer Nikolai Dante (love John Burns' art - I have fond memories of seeing his art in Mandy comic for girls when I was a nipper!!) and Slaine (that artwork is astounding, but I guess most of it is done on a computer?). I like the humour in both of these strips.

What did you think of the Total War arc in Judge Dredd? I was pretty impressed with that story, it was gripping and horrifying, and the whole terrorist thing was very relevant to what's happening now. Kind of a cliche that Vienna survived though!

I'm actually pretty much the opposite in my tastes; Dante is fun, but I wouldn't miss it, Slaine annoys me immensely (the script is frankly appalling and the computer art doesn't show the same degree of love and artistic involvement as line-drawing for me) and Total War, though entertaining, was a bit overblown - One atomic bomb would have been suspenseful, 12 was a joke. Ah well, vive la difference!

I can't remember if I've asked you this, but how long have you been reading 2000AD? What have been your stand-out stories/characters over the years (if it is years!)?

I'm a relative newbie really, having started with prog 2003, so I've been reading for just over 2 years. In that short time, there have been a great number memorable strips (enough to keep me going despite the sheer rubbish that often populates the magazine). Judge Dredd vs. Aliens was simply mind-blowing to a young initiate and the Total War precursor Terror was far more atmospheric, tense and interesting (the characters actually involved me) than its big brother. Leviathan was wonderfully weird and horrific, but I sadly missed much of it whilst on holiday (the newsagent screwed up reservation), Sinister Dexter is snappy, staccato genius, Caballistics, Inc has, as already mentioned, been a constant highlight, and Savage's topical resurrection was a superb addition. Two stories however battle it out for position of absolute favourite: The labyrinthine, noir-esque, gritty and moody Low Life: Paranoia and the sublime Asylum II.

Back