• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can anyone recommend The End of the World?

thebirchwood

Hi there,

I finally woke up and realised it's cheaper to ask for opinions rather than buying on a whim.

I'm looking for any good recommendations on fictional End of the World as We Know It books.
As in, Red Storm Rising or even sci-fi such as Footfall. (Please keep the snorts of derision to thunderous volumes)

Thanks for anyones thoughts.

thebirchwood said:
Hi there,

I finally woke up and realised it's cheaper to ask for opinions rather than buying on a whim.
TBW,
Oh, have you got that right! And you'll read a lot better books.

The End-of-the-World scene that literally set me back in my chair when I read it, is to be found in Cloud Atlas: A Novel by David Mitchell. That novel takes the span of man's history, from a distant past, far into the future, in a series of about six only very loosely connected novellas, I guess you would call them. It makes an interesting read because each of the half dozen stories is quite different and written in different style. But the end of the world, told in one of the stories, is simply staggering. So it is probably a much more diverse book than you are looking for if you wish a story wrapped around the end of the world, but I can't resist recommending it anyway.
Peder

PS I'm very interested in hearing the other recommendations as well. :)
P

:D Well...as it happens, I can think of two that I would highly recommend.
One being Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle and another one that I have never seen recommended anywhere, but it is one of the best books I have ever read is Malevil by Robert Merle.

Neither are technology laden however if that is what you prefer. But for a marvelous read, well worth the time.

Your question reminds me of the wonderful book The End of the World News by Anthony Burgess. As I remember it, it has three parallel narratives, one of which is about Freud, one about Trotsky, and one about the end of the world. It's a great, fascinating novel and nobody mentions Burgess anymore outside some refs to A Clockwork Orange. He definitely needs to be revived.

End of the world books

thebirchwood said:
Hi there,

I'm looking for any good recommendations on fictional End of the World as We Know It books.
As in, Red Storm Rising or even sci-fi such as Footfall. (Please keep the snorts of derision to thunderous volumes)

Thanks for anyones thoughts.

Hi have you read the Deathlands series by James Axler? :) Thats the kind of books that you are looking for (mayby?) Its after the 3 world war and everything is diferent in the world! Its Great! If you want me to send you the e-books of this series i can do that. my mail is ice-t@tele2.no just mail me and ask for Deathlands by J. Axler :D

Back