• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can books recreate war?

Thomas London

Hi guys,

As a reviewer for a Vietnam War books site I read a lot of books dealing with war and conflict. It's funny, some of them really make you shiver with fear and dread, other fail to recreate the horror of conflict. Has anyone read a good book that really captures this...what is it that makes it so good?

Cheers, Thomas

What Sparkchaser said.

Are you specifically looking for books that capture the actual fighting part of war or also about what happens back home (on either side of the conflict)? And are these books fiction or non-fiction?

Hey,

Just asking for people's perspectives really. I'm a fan of Vietnam War books and it seems they capture the real essence of human spirit, it's best and worst parts in the crucible of war. Non-fiction rules for me as the folks were there and saw it all.

T

Yeah I sort of agree with Sparkchaser and Polly. It's hard to say.... although I have never been in war (or prison, or at sea, or middle earth for that matter) if the author can communicate the experience well, you sort of do feel like you have been there.
A great soldier might not be a good enough writer to communicate the experience, but a great author might have never seen combat but could still engage a reader.
The only book that comes to mind is The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brian. Not a whole lot of combat but it is masterfully written and very moving. I think he was drawing on some of his own experiences in Vietnam.

Hey,

Iguess the thing is that most ppl haven't actually been there but the skill is in the way the author is able to recreat the fear, the sights and sounds to put you there in your mind...I've read a few books that have done that. Pretty cool.

Hey,

Iguess the thing is that most ppl haven't actually been there but the skill is in the way the author is able to recreat the fear, the sights and sounds to put you there in your mind...I've read a few books that have done that. Pretty cool.

For me what makes a good war novel is a ring of authenticity, experience of war isn't required.

That said two of my favourite war novels All Quiet on The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller were written by authors with former active military backgrounds. All Quiet on the Western front deals with themes that will be familiar to you in the context of your chosen era of war novels.

Could you recommend a good Vietnam War novel for me?

Hey bob

Well, just in case you didn't find what you needed, I'd personally recommend Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes. It's fiction but he is a vet so really knows how to write a heart pumping action book. Also Fields of Fire by James Webb compares the war experience of three different men...also excellent! Enjoy.

Back