• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

can you help me? any books titles with "phrasal verbs"

Celeste

don't laugh at me please :D

i'm learning english phrasal verbs and i found them really difficult to memorize. but i was thinking that, for example, i remember the translation of "look back" only because i think of Osborne's book ("Look back in anger").

Can you help me to find out any more title? i think it would be a nicer way of learning :confused:

thank you

Celeste

Phrasal verbs are cool. :)

I found a few titles for you at Amazon:
  • Speak Up With Confidence: A Step-By-Step Guide for Speakers and Leaders
  • Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash
  • Growing Up -- by Russell Baker

Celeste said:
don't laugh at me please :D
Laugh? I had to look up phrasal verbs to be sure I knew what they are.:eek:
Talking It Over by Julian Barnes
Come Back, Little Sheba by William Inge (if a play counts as a "book")
Would song or film titles be helpful to you? If so, you might start a General Chat thread asking for those; it seems to me that verbs are much more commonly used in the name of English-language songs and movies than books.

Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out by Timothy Leary

Like Minniemal I had to look up what phrasal verbs were! Never heard them called that, but it makes send. Have you tried finding songs with phrasal verbs in them? It might make it easier to remember more quickly than reading an entire book just for the title.

I'll keep an ear out for some in the music I am listening to now... sounds interesting. Incidently, approximately how many phrasal verbs are there? I found one list online that was about 50 or so... I guess it depends on how colloquial one is.

I'm sure if you Google the term, you'll get lists of them. Had me a bit confused there for a bit - not encountered that particular term before.:)

I didn't know what they were. It probably has something to do with the fact that people learning english as a second language 1) put more effort into it and 2) are often older, so they remember terms like "phrasal verb".

ok, i didn't want to make a mess :p

As Mehasting said, students of english as a second language must learn "phrasal verbs" and their use, and it's not easy to learn them, because when you translate them into your mother language there are many difficulties. it's hard to understand why "run out of" means "have no more of" if you don't use it often in real life, or in real contexts.

I don't need lists of them (thanks for suggestions!) because (unfortunatly) i've already a whole book where to study them ( level First Certificate ) and there are neverending lists.

What i wanted you to suggest me where "titles" of books, just because I'm very qualified in that field (literature), so it would be easy for me to compare the english title with the italian translation.
As "waiting for Godot" (in it. to expect Godot) or "looking back in anger" (in it. remember with anger) so it's easier to remember that "look back" means "remember".

There are moments when i ask myself "why wasn't i born english??" :confused: Just joking :rolleyes:

Have a nice weekend, Celeste

Back