• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can't come to a conclusion...

Michigan

kickbox
I have a problem, and I have it quite frequently. I have an idea for a story, and for many scenes and characters, and I'm really excited, and I start. But I can't end it. It doesn't happen EVERY time but very often, I just can't work out a fitting conclusion.

This brings many of my stories to a dead stop. I move on to the next thing, and my documents are full of unfinishes stories as a result. Stories that I really felt I could take somewhere, if only I could figure out an ending... :(

Anyone have the same problem? Have a way of tackling it?

As I don't know much about your story, Michigan, a lot depends on the genre. If it's mystery, your ending will naturally be a resolution; who done it - on the assumption, of course, that you've planted enough clues for the ending not to be magic.

If it's comedy, then you need a punch line.

If it's a short story, this is easiest - it's short enough to allow you not to tie the loose ends. You can leave it hanging with a lot of possibilities; credit the reader's intelligence.

Otherwise as a whole: how about a surprise ending? Let your characters tell their story, determining what shape it takes. Think of all scenarios, a what-if-analysis. And what you most predict, that which is most likely - don't let it happen.

Back