• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cant remember book...

brunkme

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me think of a book. I read it years ago, maybe 10 years ago. It was about a little girl who would not talk and she was in school. Believe it was a young grade. Umm...A teacher started taking interest in her and finally helped her. Seems like the cover had a face of the little girl...published in the US....cant remember much about it. She was a sad little girl, ineed of help. Maybe she didnt get along with kids or with anyone. Cant remember much about her parents. Or if she had any. I read it when I was a younger but it always stayed with me. The little girls name could be Amy. But thats probably way off. ARG! Driving me crazy!!! :confused: :mad:

Wish I could offer a reward....all I can give you is a :D (a big smile!!)

Thanks for the help!!!
Meag

hmm....sounds like matilda, huh? Really wish I could remember more about it. Something about a dress popped in my head. Like she always wore the same dress. Maybe the school wanted to give up on her, but the teacher didn't. I'm afraid im getting movies and other books all jumbled up. :eek:

Could it be by an author called Torey Hayden? I have just bought a book by her called "One Child", which deals with a six-year old girl with severe behavioural problems. (The cover is the face of a little girl, but the girl's name is Sheila.) The author works with such children, some of whom are elective mutes. She has written quite a few other books which deal with the kind of theme you are searching for. Hope this helps. :)

Reminds me of 'So Much To Tell You' by John Marsden. But that was about a tennager in a boarding school who couldn't talk. You find out throughout the book what happened and why she stopped talking. It was written in diary format in the first person. A few too many discrepancies from your description to be the right book, I think, but I figured I'd mention it.

Oh I know! I bet you it's The Hundred Dresses, by Eleanor Estes. It's about a little girl who is very quiet in school because she's Polish, and all the other girls are really mean to her. She wears the same shabby dress every day, but tells the girls who make fun of her that she has a hundred dresses, of all colors and kinds. None of the girls believe her, and eventually she and her family move away (presumably because everyone was so awful to them).

One of the girls in her class, Maggie, feels bad about how everyone treated the little Polish girl, and she goes to the girls' old house after she moved out. Maggie goes in the house and finds, to her amazement, a hundred pictures inside one of the closets... they're drawings of a hundred different kinds of dresses.

Halo - Weird thing. I watched that movie yesterday and got right on looking to see if the book cover had a girl on it. So I'm going to have to buy the book now and see if it is the same.
And thanks to everyone else. All the books you came up with sounded so interesting that I went ahead and orded them too. Yay! :D

Back