• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cemetery Dance Magazine

I used to subscribe to it last year and was thinking about subscribing again in the near future. It did, however, annoy me as they were sending me my issue about two months after publication. The Hallowe'en edition came to me in December... This was really annoying since there's no way that it takes two months to send anything from the US to the UK in this day and age. I managed to order a book from a small bookseller in India and that took only nine days to arrive.

That said, the content sometimes was okay, although I never did get round to reading any of the short stories present within it despite only subscribing originally to test the market for a short story that I had written and am, at the moment, rewriting. I preferred the editorial section although thought that the monthly pages of what has Stephen King been up to were very unnecessary.

A few months after subscribing to it Poppy Z. Brite withdrew from horror and published her last contribution, as far as I know, to the magazine having had a regular column for a period of time.

Man, it's such a small freakin' world. Michael Ian Bateson, the artist responsible for the cover artwork on my book, just finished a piece to be included with the British Fantasy Society's 2006 Calendar, to accompany a short piece written by the one and only Poppy Z. Brite. Strange you mentioned her name.

Anyway, Cemetery Dance seems to ship on time in the U.S. They had a $99 lifetime subscription a while back, so I jumped on that. They even sent me some back issues. I do find I enjoy the articles more than the stories, but every once in a while there's a story worth remembering.

sirmyk said:
the one and only Poppy Z. Brite. Strange you mentioned her name.

I mention her name because she's one of the few authors I've read in contemporary horror that I truly believe has a voice. I always thought if she could tell stories without vampires, ghosts, and serial killers it would be well worth reading as her descriptive style is one I want to read, maybe it's the Louisiana atmospherics. :)

I know she's moved onto general fiction now with her novels about gay restauranteurs but they don't seem to be available in UK shops. I'll have a look at Amazon and see what the reviews are like.

Stewart, have you renewed C.D. yet? It's still great, but slowly I've noticed lagging issues (months behind sometimes)...

It sounds like a great magazine, even if it comes in late. I don't really mind that. Can you give me some information on it, sirmyk?

Back