• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ceremony

ksurf03

I just finished reading Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. In the novel, Silko placed a lot of emphasis on "story." Towards the start of the novel, she even states that you can go to the moon if you know the right story. Since I am reading/listening/absorbing her story, where does Silko want to take me? I have some thoughts about the moon and what it could symbolize, but I wanted to get some other feedback.

I haven't read much Silko, so my answer might be totally unqualified. A professor of mine interviewed her while she was teaching at my University in Texas many years ago. The emphasis on 'story' to the best of my knowledge is rooted in the Native American tradition. So far as I have been told, her work is about the continuity of a people found when their 'story' is told from generation to generation.

a

Back