• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Challenging conventional thought

sweetascandy314

I had to post my love for Gregory Maguire books. His new interpretations of the classic and dearly-beloved stories, namely "THe Wizard of Oz," "Cinderella," and "Sleeping Beauty," are fasinating. I personally will never look at these tales the same way ever again, yet I don't mind at all. The books bring a humanistic quality to the "fairy tales." I would love to know other people opinions.

I've only read Wicked (the Oz one) and have to admit I was disappointed.

Given the playground Maquire had to work with, I thought he kind of dried up the story with politics and the differences between animals and Animals. There were certainly interesting aspects to the story but frankly I was expecting a little more sense of wonder.

Incidentally, I read a great book called Was, by Geoff Ryman. It's very original, with three sets of characters, all linked to the story of The Wizard of Oz. I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-3272190-7467968?v=glance&s=books

Back