• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Characters you identify with

Violanthe

Who are the literary characters you most identify with? If you could live the adventures, conflicts, pitfalls and triumphs of any literary character, who would it be? On the other hand, if a friend were describing you, what character would they most liken you to?

I get called Virginia Woolf, apparently because I go off on a tangent. But that isn't a character...

Um... jeez, that's a hard question. Most characters have had way more traumatic/interesting lives than me.

I'll think some more. :D

I haven't been felt too good lately-rather confused- so I was very identified with Esther Greenwood of Sylvia Plath's "The bell jar". I just happened to read about month ago, and helped me to feel better about many situations that I'm going through

I read David Copperfield over Christmas break and found myself really identifying with Steerforth (maybe I was feeling subconsciously guilty about something)...and I was upset when he turned out to be such a cad...most of the time though, I tend to be more like Wooster to my little sister's Jeeves.

i suppose i find a way to identify with most characters i become immersed into. i could think of astrid from white oleander and Jessica Darling from Sloppy Firsts off of the top of my head

this is a difficult one. definately hermione from Harry Potter, sometimes with foaly from artemis fowl. maggie from inkheart...and well those are all kids books but maybe i'llt hink of more later.

I'd say Gatsby (The Great Gatsby), The Underground Man (Notes from the Underground), and Holden Caufield (Catcher in the Rye)...Heh, seems I liken myself to literature's biggest jerks...Oh well, goes with my avatar.

Only charater that rings anything is Travis Cornell of Watchers by Dean R. Koontz; excluding the curse and the drinking beer and the like, I would say I am kind of like him, at least being a bit introverted, et cetera.

I would like to say I am like Ian Malcolm of Jurassic Park and The Lost World by Michael Crichton, but, alas, I am not. I just agree with everything he says. :p

I can't think of any character I've identified with recently. The previous point about character's having traumatic lives is a good one. I don't think I'd want to live any life that is eventful enough to make good fiction. Give me boring peace and quiet.

My friends often write me letters (yes, people still do that!!) addressing me as Mr. Hackett of The Shire, as I am so fond of Bilbo and Frodo. My Girlfriend jokingly accuses me of being in love with Hermione (no way!) since I'm so like her!! LOL. I am rather studious, and I do love knowing all the answers...but a good meal (or 5) in a warm Hobbit hole, followed by a cup o' tea is also right up my alley!!

Identify with...

I think I too can look to Tolkien for the character that most makes me feel, 'Yes, I think I understand that feeling.' I identify most with Samwise, I think, even though I'd much rather be Aragorn, or Legolas, or perhaps even Frodo (in spite of what he goes through... it's nice to be the main character!). But I am drawn to Sam as the one who shows the bloody-minded resolve and determination, in spite of the facts in front of him... I think he sets a great example and I hope I'm never in a position in which I have to try to emulate him... :)

Shortage of volcanos in Hertfordshire anyway...

I think, perhaps, if there was a GROUP of characters I could identify with, it would be the Hobbits. A quiet life of eating good food and drinking good ale sounds like my kind of thing.

Back