• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles Dickens: A Tale Of Two Cities

sqsq

At first I thought this book would be sooo boring and rather difficult to folow but as yiu get furtehr in the story develops a rather nice plot and proves to have quite a bit of foreshadow and other interesting things to pick up on.

I love Dickens and really wanted to read this book but i've started it twice and after 50 pages seem to lose interest.

I loved his Oliver Twist and Great Expectations and read them in a few days but TOTC I haven't quite embraced yet.

I remember the first time I read this book, in high school, I could not keep the characters straight and ended up reading most of the book having no idea what was going on. After having it outlined by the teacher I was only slightly less confused. Since then I have gone back and read it a number of times and it has become one of my most favorite books. I don't know why I had so much trouble the first time, I guess I was distracted.

When I was assigned it in high school, we all bought the cliff notes as they came with a sort of family tree thing so you could keep everyone straight. I should probably re-read this and see if I'd like it now. I thought it was OK then, if I remember correctly.

I cannot believe how much my thoughts on this particular books changed while I was reading it. I went from liking it and speeding through the first bit to slowing down, to struggling through it, to getting sucked into it again.

It's not something I'd read again any time soon, but I might give Dickens another go in the future.

My thoughts on this book are similar to lies's. When I had the opportunity to borrow A Tale of Two Cities from the library, I could not contain my excitement and started reading it right then and there, assuring myself that I would finish it within the first few days - but my conjecture, I am disappointed to say, was wrong. The first few pages contained my full attention, but soon, hours of reading turned into days, and eventually into weeks. It was a month before I reached 3/4 of the book, and then it became such a struggle just to open the book.
However, one must understand that Charles Dickens wrote this novel at the later, darker part of his life, which may corroborate for all the solemn settings in the book. Although I failed tremendously on my first try, I plan to read the book again sometime in the future, with a much more open mind.

i read the abridged version when I was still a child, and later on I discovered an old hard bound copy that my father and his siblings had used;it was a bit difficult to access at first but I soon got caught up with the events and the characters and how their lives became enmeshed with the events of the larger picture. It's been a long time since I last read that book: it's worth a second visit, in my opinion.

Back