• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles Dickens: Oliver Twist

Oh dear, Oliver Twist-not my favourite of books. Anyway, my take on the question would be as follows; They are bad because they are directed that way by the social status quo either conditioned by their position in society (Noah and to a lesser extent Nancy,) by what society demands of them (Bumble, who genuinely believes he is looking after the workhouse children in a proper Christian manner because society dictates that anyone from their background is a born reprobate), and in only one or two cases do we actually get genuinely bad individuals (Sikes obviously springs to mind.) Dickens' characters are more an accusation directed towards society than humanity. Their secondary purpose is to accentuate Oliver's own angelic nature, as he comes out through all the hardships he has had to bear without the slightest taint on his character. In other words, the aim of the novel is to portray something that W.E. Henley managed, in 'Invictus,' to demonstrate far more eloquently and in just 16 lines!

my knowledge in oliver twist does not go beyond a Wishbone episode. i would like to try reading it tho. shame the only copy we have of it is in one of those fancy leather-bound books. rather annoying to read

I enjoyed Oliver Twist - it was easy to read and portrayed Dickens' political views openly, but I felt that the characterisation didn't really reflect his views. What I mean to say is that although he was massively sympathetic towards Oliver, he doesn't make his character at all interesting. The most interesting characters in the book are the evil ones - Sykes in particular.

My review of Oliver Twist at Amazon.com:
A very good classic, Oliver Twist, is a heart warming story about a boy named Oliver Twist. It is a beautiful classic. One of Dickens's best books. Oliver's mother died after giving birth to Oliver. He lived in the foster house. They treated young Oliver and the other children with very little food and bad water. One day, at the age of twelve, Oliver was eligible to be taken into a home. He first was put in court to see who would come and purchase him. The first person to show up at the courthouse was a chimney sweep. Oliver did not like him. The judge put him back into the foster house. After he was taken in by someone called Fagin. At Fagin's apartment house, he met a boy called "The grateful Dodger." He also met other people at Fagin's apartment house. One day he was sent out on a mission. His mission was to pick someone's pocket while the "Dodger" occupied the man or woman. In town a riot occurred which will be very interesting to read about.
The main character is Oliver. Oliver learns lessons about who to love and who not to, as well as lessons about friendship. He learns these lessons though love and hatred, and with a gunshot.
I really enjoyed this book and I hope you will too.

Back