• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles Dubow: Indiscretion

Hello everyone,

I borrowed this book yesterday at the library, finished it in 7 hours because it was so good. It definitely was a page turner for me. I felt so many different emotions for the different characters. At some points I liked one character and then another, I didn't. Basically, this book describes the dynamics of marriage and how infidelity doesn't just effect the couple and the woman/man on the side, but so many other people.

What did you think? I am not going to lie, but the wife- Maddy, really annoyed me. I know it's wrong since Harry cheated on her, but it was this 'effortless beauty' she had, that always got to me. She kind of had this cockiness about her, that even in the beginning I found annoying. It was as if she knew she was 'perfect.' In a weird way, I felt for Claire. I felt she had this sadness and wanted to feel loved. That is why she was seeing Clive at first, just so she could have someone to be intimate with. I also see a very Freudian-like theme with Claire and Harry. Harry was older and Claire didn't have much of a father-figure in her life, so obviosuly it was the father-like attraction or lacktherof that might have bonded the connection with Claire and Harry. Also, it seemed that Claire always had younger people in her life, and this couple (Harry and Maddy), had the life she wanted. Anywho, I am rambling.

What did you guys think? I would love to have a discussion.

It sounds like a 'kitchen sink drama' a sort of Coronation Street episode in a book. I would not seek it out. 7 hours is rather impressive, especially for someone your age.

It sounds like a 'kitchen sink drama' a sort of Coronation Street episode in a book. I would not seek it out. 7 hours is rather impressive, especially for someone your age.

I didn't mean to say I read it fast for anyone to assume I was showing off. I only meant that it was so good that I couldn't put it down. You are seriously going to put down every book I have read so far, aren't you? Well, since my books aren't up to par with you, what do YOU suggest I read? Then, maybe we can actually have a real discussion about a book.

Indiscretion did have drama, I suppose. But it was written differently. I enjoyed the emotional roller coaster it put me through. It helped me understand how it was to go in each person's life for when someone steps out of the marriage boundaries. People assume when someone cheats, that it only affects the wife, husband, and other lover. However, it affects: friends, children, work, and life in general. Once again, if it is not what you like, that's fine. It makes me wonder...what do you like?

I'm not sure if I'm going to 'put down' everything you read, I will honestly comment on each book according to it's content. If it starts to irritate you though I will of course, stop.
I am currently reading 'The Leopard Hunts in Darkness - Wilbur Smith' and enjoying it immensley, give it a try and we can discuss it, I think maybe you would enjoy it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to 'put down' everything you read, I will honestly comment on each book according to it's content. If it starts to irritate you though I will of course, stop.
I am currently reading 'The Leopard Hunts in Darkness - Wilbur Smith' and enjoying it immensley, give it a try and we can discuss it, I think maybe you would enjoy it.

I placed it on hold in the library, ok? I bet, by the time I get it, you will be done and onto the next one. However, I will read it and while reading it, try to get a discussion going with you.

I had a smile at this response - I never miss an episode of Coronation Street, even their 'kitchen sink dramas' - the show has been running for so many years and has garnered a lot of viewers on both sides of the Atlantic - I guess much like the American show, The Young and the Restless, although I don't know if that is shown in the UK. It doesn't always have to be up market for people to be interested - just something that catches the imagination. I haven't read the book that Smarie is talking about but maybe when I was younger I might have read it and enjoyed it.

There are lots of Wilbur Smith's books in the library and maybe one of these days I'll pick one up. He's very popular, but it seems to me that the people who have told me about his books have been male - I've just never gravitated towards his books. Is it possible that they appeal more to men? Now I've opened my mouth maybe I'd better get one of his books on Kindle to form a better opinion. :rolleyes:

Just as a P.S. to my previous post, I logged on to Amazon and had a look at the books available and saw one which maybe doesn't involve jungle animals, at least I hope it doesn't, called "For Those in Peril" - it should give me an idea of his writing.:)

I had a smile at this response - I never miss an episode of Coronation Street, even their 'kitchen sink dramas' - the show has been running for so many years and has garnered a lot of viewers on both sides of the Atlantic - I guess much like the American show, The Young and the Restless, although I don't know if that is shown in the UK. It doesn't always have to be up market for people to be interested - just something that catches the imagination. I haven't read the book that Smarie is talking about but maybe when I was younger I might have read it and enjoyed it.

There are lots of Wilbur Smith's books in the library and maybe one of these days I'll pick one up. He's very popular, but it seems to me that the people who have told me about his books have been male - I've just never gravitated towards his books. Is it possible that they appeal more to men? Now I've opened my mouth maybe I'd better get one of his books on Kindle to form a better opinion. :rolleyes:

Well I guess this book isn't for everyone. I just really enjoyed it and wanted to share it on here in case anyone heard of it or read it.

Well I guess this book isn't for everyone. I just really enjoyed it and wanted to share it on here in case anyone heard of it or read it.

Hi smarie: There are probably people on the forum who would enjoy the book you've read. I'm in the oldster category and read mostly thrillers and mysteries so wouldn't be likely to have picked that book up. It's all a matter of personal taste and if you like a book and enjoy it then mission accomplished. Keep on reading what you enjoy.:)

Just as a P.S. to my previous post, I logged on to Amazon and had a look at the books available and saw one which maybe doesn't involve jungle animals, at least I hope it doesn't, called "For Those in Peril" - it should give me an idea of his writing.:)

'Those In Peril' is an excellent thriller, try it and you will see.

I have never seen even 3 minutes of Coronation Street. before the advent of hard drives and the facility to time shift, I never wanted to tie myself down every other day at 19:30hrs.

Hi smarie: There are probably people on the forum who would enjoy the book you've read. I'm in the oldster category and read mostly thrillers and mysteries so wouldn't be likely to have picked that book up. It's all a matter of personal taste and if you like a book and enjoy it then mission accomplished. Keep on reading what you enjoy.:)

In the thriller vein I like Lee Child best. have you read any of the Jack Reacher series [by Child]?

Back