• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Chick Lit - Diary narrative styles

kittykatt

Dear All,

I hope someone can help.
My boyfriend posted a note here too...I need some help finding my next read.

I am currently reading Goodbye, Jimmy Choo by Annie Sanders, fantastic read although not really my normal type of book.

I really enjoy diary and email-narrative books, for example, Meg Cabot's books boy next door, girl meets boy and the few others she has done (the adult literature). In the same way also the ever classic Bridget Jones' Diary (both) and the e books by Matt Beaumont. Although my all time favourite is the shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella (a must read for any chic lit lovers like myself)

I would like to obtain another few books written in this style and was wondering if anyone could help me out. They are an easy read on the long journey to work!

I would be grateful for any advice if anyone knows of any...

THANKS TO YOU ALL !!!

The Nanny Diaries is pretty good. A little self-righteous for chick lit.

Also, there's The Devil Wears Prada and the book by Plum Sykes.

If you want something a little more serious and literary, you might like Mary Karr's books.

thanks...

I might just have to try the intriguingly entitled THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA - sounds like my type of thing! Thanks ever so much, will let you know how I get on...

I think you might have to give Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker a try. I haven't read it myself, but it's supposed to be e-mail and chick lit.

Excellent! Thank you very much, also on my list - good job I am a quick reader.
You know what they say about Pringles...well thats me, once I read a page...I cant stop reading ;0)
THANKS AGAIN!

Sex and the City--I have to laugh at that. You can sure live like that if you want to. When I lived in Manhattan, I used to buy my goofy shoes at Patricia Fields and spend a lot of time in restaurants and bars and just going out--but for my money, it's no fun to hang with a bunch of people who always chase the elusive happening time and happening place. A lot of people run around in circles thinking they're missing out on the cooler, better time. (That's one way you can identify someone who's not a native.)

And it's way more sanitized now than when I was growing up (in the Charles Bronson Death Wish, Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, Son of Sam, Bernie Goetz years). I'm not nostaligic for graffitti and the smell of piss everywhere, and it's great to feel safe no matter what neighborhood you're in, but I remember a downtown scene that was much more local and gritty and less show-biz media-marketed, which I miss.

Manhattan is a great place to live and work, but most people who like it find their own niche there. People have a better time when they figure that out.

Somewhat misleading then?? lol
I have always wanted to move to New York. The shopping, the lifestyle, but never really had the opportunity to speak to anyone who lives or has lived there.
Manhatten not all it is cracked up to be then??

kittykatt said:
Somewhat misleading then?? lol
I have always wanted to move to New York. The shopping, the lifestyle, but never really had the opportunity to speak to anyone who lives or has lived there.
Manhatten not all it is cracked up to be then??

Did I give you that impression? On the contrary, there's no place like it on earth. It's fantastic. It's the one place in America where you can go out all night any night doing fun, interesting things. It's true.

I would put less emphasis on shopping, though. The fact is, you can shop anywhere in the world. It's really not an activity I would go to or live in NYC for. And the restaurants are great, but frankly it's not that much fun to pay lots of money for mediocre food just to be in the coolest spot. There's so much more than that, which is why I'm just kind of dissing the Sex and the City image. The reality is much cooler. Like, I used to pass Andy Warhol almost every day on Madison Ave. I was walking home downtown and he was walking up, with his little backpack and oblivious look. Jodi Foster lived on my corner, and David Johanssen from the NY Dolls. I bumbed into John Lennon twice.

There's really nothing like it.

My bros and sisters still live in Manhattan and I go out with them all the time. What we prefer to do is catch some music, get some sushi, walk around, get a drink, see some more music, like that. The whole shopping thing is a bore.

(And I used to collect clothes, mostly from thrift shops, so believe me, it's not that I don't like clothes. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have in my closet.) :eek:

There really sounds as though it could be the most wonderful place on the planet - I hope to get out there at some point this year with a friend of mine. Can you suggest anywhere?

It depends what you like to do, but generally I would check out Greenwich Village and Tribeca and Soho and spend less time in Midtown and the theater district, which are very middle American from a tourist's point of view.

Just walk around and go in places, grab a drink, ask around. I don't stay in hotels, so I don't know what to say about that, except that I would stay away from real cheapo places and hostels.

For music, the East Village has a lot of live music for less money, and lots of affordable restaurants and cafes. That's probably the most fun. There's great late night jazz at 55 Bar in the Village, for cheap. There are decent free papers with good listings, like NY Press.

Post on chowhound.com, under Manhattan, for cool places to eat. Just make your post specific, like what's the best Indian south of 14th Street, and you'll get a lot of responses. If you want to check out high-end places you've heard of, sometimes you can just have a drink at a restaurant bar around 5 or 6 and see what it's like without a big commitment. Going to speakeasies,which are hidden Prohibition bars, can be fun.

kittykatt
have you read WHERE RAINBOWS END by CEILLA AHERN (dont know if I've spelt that right) that is all e-mail, letters etc and an easy read.
charlie

Brill thanks. I actually wanted that when it came out but I had no idea it was in that type of text - makes it a definate buy now!

Cheers :0)

oh! I posted a suggestion in your boyfriend's thread.

oops, nevermind. I wasn't paying attention to the whole chick lit thing.

Entertainment Weekly reviews 4 chick lit books about once a month. You might check that out, they always sound interesting. Also, harlequin publishes 2 books a month under its Red Dress Ink line.

just to rewind a little

kittykat - i wanted to ask you - would you recommend 'goodbye jimmy choo'? i've seen it all over the place, and advertised on the tube but i haven't read any reviews, apart from on amazon. although i enjoy a quick, undemanding read as much as the next over-committed woman, if i have to read another 'does my bum look big, oh no, i haven't got a boyfriend' book :mad: i fear i'll do something i may regret!!!

if you like diary/letter type books (which, personally, do my head in!) try 'what about me?' by kate figes. it's about a year in the life of a woman and her daughter, the daughter's side recounted through her diary, the mother's through letters to her sister. haven't read it myself (for reasons explained above :eek: ), but i hear that it's frighteningly perceptive and funny but touching at the same time.

Hi!
Would I recommend it? I loved every single minute of it! :D
It is not a Bridget Jones-esque book which by the sounds of you really do not like. It is not what you would expect from the title either!
So, in short - I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. The book is based around two main characters who form a very unlikely friendship in quite unique circumstances. Two very strong personalitles. Definately not a predictable book, or outcome!
If you like an easy read I would advise this one. I could not put it down for love nor money!!
It certainly isnt a 'does my bum look big in this type of book'.

Hope that helps x ;)

Goodbye Jimmy Choo

Thanks so much for the recommendation, Kittykatt (sorry I missed out a 't' last time!) :eek: . It's just a great story and I, like you , couldn't put it down :D . Amazingly, it's written by two women (although they don't admit it on the jacket, only on the inside), and it's about two women. Interesting, that! Wonder how they did it?
Much more my kind of book than most 'chick lit ' (I so hate that expression), 'cos it wasn't self-obsessed and solely about shopping and boyfriends (although a brand of shoes in a title works for me). Although it's not a diary form, of course, the viewpoint keeps alternating between the two women, so you do get different takes on their situation. And since they're really different women - though both very credible - it's quite fascinating to see how they cope with the changes that take place as their business takes off. although it was laugh-out-loud funny at times, there's lots of really moving bits too (don't want to give the plot away) - bit of an emotional rollercoaster in fact. :p
Any recommendations for other books like this warmly appreciated.
love
rivergirlie x

Back