• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Christopher Paolini: Eldest

I have read both Eragon and Eldest and enjoyed them. I think Eragon was better, but that's usually the way books in a series run. The last I heard, the final book is expected around summer of 2008. Too long! I just watched the movie for the third time and I have to agree with all of you that it didn't translate very well. They did a great job with Saphira though. Jeremy Irons was pretty awesome as Brom as well.
Edited to add: By the way, I'm 16 and read Eragon when I was 14.

well...

I read eragon a few years back when I was 12 or 13 and I loved it so much I actually bought it to re-read rather than just to have it, when I read eldest I thought it was great as well because it made a wonderful transition from eragon to eldest. But I was disgusted by how inaccurate the movie was, it had no real relevance except name and characters in a different storyline, and so I have been discouraging viewing the movie to anyone who wanted to go see it.

I acutally liked the movie. It was really different from the book, which I knew going in, so I tried to separate what I knew of the book from what I was about to watch. I enjoyed the movie a lot more that way.

As an adaptation, the movie wasn't very good. But as a totally different thing from the book it was pretty good. I liked some of the changes, actually, because it made me think about the characters in a new light.

Saphira was great, though.

i liked eragon cept for the witch. cant stand witchcraft and ive read books long enough to be wary enough to detect it in fanatasy. eldest was pretty good EXCEPT for the whole athiest elves thing which TOTALLY did not need to be in there...he woulda been better to have mentioned no religion at all much less that...if he cuts that out in the third book which is called Empire by the way...it will be good. hopefully!

I think that between the two books I would like Eragon overall, but only for the reason that Roran's storyline annoyed me since I was more interested in knowing what happened to Murtagh. It was rather tempting to just skip those chapters when they interrupted Eragon's studies with the elves yet I still read on.

I read Eldest just after it came out... I would have been what, 11, 12? I devoured it, and finished it in about 2 days, if I remember rightly. I thought the series was excellent at the time, however, I have much expanded my reading repetoire since then. I recently attempted to re-read the series, as I had seen the release date of the third in the cycle, but found I couldn't get through the fantasy cliches, lack of originality and coincidental similarities, bordering close to plagiarism, on the part of Paolini.
Guess that's part of growing up, eh?
The movie was alright; not excellent. :/

I read Eragon and Eldest in year 7 and I loved them! I love dragons and the medievil theme and quests so Eragon just was perfect!:) But there is a bit of a break until the third one comes out... I'm going to have to wait.:(

I think that between the two books I would like Eragon overall, but only for the reason that Roran's storyline annoyed me since I was more interested in knowing what happened to Murtagh. It was rather tempting to just skip those chapters when they interrupted Eragon's studies with the elves yet I still read on.

I'll have to admit I wanted to know what happened with Murtagh but I didnt want to know anything else so I just Googled it! I regret being so impatient!

Back