• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Chuck Palahniuk: Beautiful You

jennybug87

I enjoy Chuck palahniuk's work. Well I only read 3 and I plan on reading more. Beautiful you was a corky fun book, was suppose to make you laugh and poke fun. I feel he was just having fun and through caution to the wind. The first 160 pages were intriguing. But after that it just got ridiculous and than it became a chore to finish. When I reached the end I had so many irrelevant questions to this irrelevant book.

*SPOILERS*

Multi millionaire who wanted to control women. I get that. People are slaves to their own obsession.

The characters are not concrete or developed. There was no message really besides sex became the obsession.

Maxwell had a emotionless relationship with women to further his experiment to enslave women. He says "I love you because your so average" but as you read on, the love of his life is phebe who is essentially penny. If he cloned his love and watched over her why did he behave nonchalantly toward penny. Dump her. Called her average when she is any thing but average. Once he had penny/phebe, what was the point to dump her at all? The hostility towards her. I don't understand what the point of the book was?

I know the book was for fun, maybe it wasn't suppose to make sense at all.

I was a little disappointed with ending.

I will check those out.. fight club 2 is coming out soon. I hope he at least is semi interested in writing the sequel unlike the last pile of junk.

Back