• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Classic books into good movies?

OOOOOPS

Keep in mind that Jeremony Irons made a statement in an interview wherein he said he never should have made the movie. He felt there was no chemistry on the set and was sorely disappointed in the film.
I tend to agree w/him. He walked through the script and the others were in some other galaxy.
Am I behind the times or did I forget that Kubrik made the Jeremony Irons version?

To really get a sense of the dynamics in the film the first one is stelllar.

which ones have you seen? my order goes like this:

9-10/10:
eyes wide shut & 2001: a space odyssey
the shining
dr. strangelove
lolita

8-9/10:
paths of glory
a clockwork orange
full metal jacket

7-8/10:
barry lyndon

The Shining, Dr Strangelove, Lolita... I think that's all? At least all that I can think of right now.

I would like to see A Clockwork Orange because I hear it's a disturbing film.

I thought this was interesting: an original 1940 review of Gone With The Wind.

From the archive, 28 May 1940: Gone with the wind at the Gaiety | From the Guardian | The Guardian

Before the first foot of film was exposed it had a highly articulate "pre-sold" audience of best-seller readers, millions strong, who insisted on the book, the whole book, and nothing but the book. So it had to be long; the wonder is how Sidney Howard and David O. Selznick between them contrived so neatly to condense the thousand-page novel into a manageable scenario.

But abnormal length (as Disney has proved) need not in itself be a handicap. The major drawback about the literal translation of a novel to the screen is that the film cannot, in one important respect, be much better than the book. And the one serious weakness about "Gone With the Wind" is that its story lacks the epic quality which alone could justify such a lavish outlay of time, talent, and "production values." If the story had been cut short and tidied up at the point marked by the interval, and if the personal drama had been made subservient to a cinematic treatment of the central theme – the collapse and devastation of the Old South – then "Gone With the Wind" might have been a really great film.

Some things never change...

Back