• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

classic coming of age

graydaisy

I'm in the mood to read a great coming of age story. I recently watched Anywhere but Here with Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman and I loved the description of Anne's plight. I think it was done extraordinarily well. I want to read something along those lines and as well done as that. I just ordered the novel by mona simpson, but, I want to get the movie out of my system before I read it. So, in the meantime I'm looking for something else. Can anyone recommend something?

Well, depending on your preferred era, I'd suggest "An Old Fashioned Girl" by Louisa May Alcott. Great mid-19th century coming of age!

Cathy

a portrait of the artist as a young man is the quintessential coming of age story, as long as you don't mind the fact that it's about a dude.

graydaisy said:
I'm in the mood to read a great coming of age story. I recently watched Anywhere but Here with Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman and I loved the description of Anne's plight. I think it was done extraordinarily well. I want to read something along those lines and as well done as that. I just ordered the novel by mona simpson, but, I want to get the movie out of my system before I read it. So, in the meantime I'm looking for something else. Can anyone recommend something?

The Liar's Club by Mary Karr
Monkeys by Susan Minot
This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff

All novel-like memoirs.

All good.

I wouldn't call it exactly coming of age, but Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen is a compelling memoir as well.

If you liked that movie with Natalie Portman that you mentioned, then you may like the movie Where the Heart Is, or the book its based on by Billie Letts. (I'll say this much, I'm a guy and this movie had me in tears to the point I missed my dinner to keep watchin it!)

Back