• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cold Mountain

Miss Shelf said:
It sounds like guys only see chick flicks when they're on a date, or their wives or girlfriends have control of the remote. :D

That seems to be true with a lot of guys, but not all.

Miss Shelf said:
how about you? what's the last chick flick you saw without being forced to? ;)

Want the whole list? I don't think I have the kind of time required to list them all.

Cold Mountain, I enjoyed the book and the movie. I thought Renee Zellweger played the part very well in the movie. Loved the music and the scenery. Some of the filming was done near Richmond, VA. Renee Zellweger was happy on location as long as she was near and had access to "Starbucks". I also had the enjoyment of attending the premiere of Cold Mountain and learned a little about its filming.

Miss Shelf said:
Classic avoidance! :D Okay, how about the one(s) you watched in the last week?

What can I say, Miss Shelf? I like Romantic Comedies. However, the only movies I’ve seen the last couple of weeks are Sahara and Rio Bravo.

Miss Shelf said:
He admits it! He likes romantic comedies! Why can't more guys be like you? :)

Don't go by me, Miss Shelf. I also like books by Dan Brown and J. K. Rowling. :eek:

That being said, what's so bad about a movie being a chick flick? We don't call mindless tripe like "Terminator 3" or any of those so-called action movies a dick flick, do we, even though that's what they are? :cool:

LOL-I think you've just created a word that will be greatly utilized in our contemproary culture. LOL, I'm sure that I'll remember those words whenever I see an ad for any terminator movie.

Oh, the top "dick flick" movies of all time
1.)The Godfather
2.)Rocky
3.)Scarface
4.)Rambo
5.)Goodfellas

Any comments fellas? :D These are the films that my male friends and I just love. I recently bought the Scarface anniversary set. :D :D

Miss Shelf said:
He admits it! He likes romantic comedies! Why can't more guys be like you? :)

I think a lot of guys like romantic comedies. Admitting to it is another story.
Now Robert is a real man because open to watching so-called "chick-flicks". It doesn't emasculate him in any way. :rolleyes:

And on that note, I'm not ashamed to say that I love the so-called "dick-flicks", except for really bad ones like XXX and The Punisher.

Skirting this fascinating discussion for a minute-last night I watched "Cold Mountain" again and I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not one of my favorites-I don't really care for depressing movies, and I had to avert my eyes at the battle scenes-but otherwise I think it did a great job of condensing a lot of story into a couple of hours. True, Nicole Kidman was a bit too clean to be believable but all in all it was a good movie.

Okay, let's get back to the discussion.

I like the movies SFG mentioned too-too bad the sequels (with the exception of the Godfather ones, apart from the one where Sofia Coppolla tried to act in), and I particularly like John Wayne movies and WWII movies myself.

It's interesting how a simple discussion can cause you to rethink your opinions-last night I also watched some of a program on AMC discussing "Fatal Attraction". I hadn't once thought that the movie might be disrespectful of working women by portraying the Glenn Close character in a negative light. All I saw was the "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" aspect of it. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of guys like romantic comedies. Admitting to it is another story.
Now Robert is a real man because open to watching so-called "chick-flicks". It doesn't emasculate him in any way. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll confess. :eek: I watched and liked the one where Tom Hanks works for a big, faceless, soul-less, bookstore as a pawn for the oppressor, and his new love is the owner of a smaller book store.....and they e-mail a lot and fall in love. then again, who wouldn't fall in love with Meg Ryan? :D :D

I like the movies SFG mentioned too-too bad the sequels (with the exception of the Godfather ones, apart from the one where Sofia Coppolla tried to act in),

She was in the last sequel or two. She was the one with no acting skills but had the huge, honkin' nose? Wow, he must have told her that she didn't have to work for the circus that summer. :rolleyes:

Back