• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Collecting Slang and Idioms

@direstraits

good lord, that is great!! i should really learn this, i hate when people talk around the point, you mad, ha?, is more to my point!! :D

I liked "s-kews", which is of course, an incredibly handy short for "Excuse me." Terribly useful when someone is in your way in a public place.

:D

ds

i dunno if these are common or not, but my mum in law has never heard of them:

S.O.L. = shit outta luck (they didnt have her shoe size so she was SOL)
up shit creek = in trouble or in a bad situation you can't get out off

RitalinKid said:
A chickenhead is also an "easy" woman. Learned that from Chappelle.

Here's another.
Sick=Cool Ex: That album is absolutely sick.

I think it comes from "ill". You've probably heard that used in the same way.

Don't forget about Snoop Dogg-ese. "Fo' shizzle, ma Nizzle." I love slang.

haha- we have the Chappelle show on DVD! he's one crazy mofo (there's one another for you)

i use sick all the time. it confuses the hell outta anyone older than 35. it's one of my current favorites. lol

i love snoop, but "izzle" drives me nuts. too easy to use, you can throw it onto almost anything so it gets ubiquitous and loses it's flavah ;)

Anybody that wants to get up to date on pop/urban US comedy, a good place to start is the Chappelle Show on Comedy Central. That will always have some good slang terms in it. Be prepared to be a little shocked though. Some of his best skits to date were as follows:
"Black Bush" - A skit about how things would be if Pres. Bush was black.
"The Black White Supremacist" - A blind black man is the leader of a new white supremacy movement.
"The Niggas" - Set in the 50s, a white suburban family has the last name Nigga.

Jenem, once again, we have a common interest. It'll never end.

Another word is "ridiculous" for cool. As in, "That bass solo is absolutely ridiculous."

Back