• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Comic books

DavidGeekyd

Hi there,

I’ve been lurking in this group for quite a long time, but this is my first post. No one ever brings up comic books, and I was wondering if anyone here reads them. I’m a big fan of several series. Some of my favorites are:

Lucifer
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The Punisher
Love Fights
Thessaly, Witch For Hire

Are there any other comics fans here? If so, what do you read?

I also thought that some of you would like to know that Free Comic Book Day is coming up on July 3. It’s an annual event to try to get new readers interested in the form. The publishers donate millions of comics that are given away at pretty much every comic book store in the US, don’t know about other countries. It’s really a lot of fun, and there are lots of creator signings that go on too. I hope whether you read comics or not, whether you have kids or not, you’ll check out what’s being given away at your local store. You can find stores by typing in your zip here: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/fcbd_locator.asp

Thanks for reading my ramble. Hope to hear from other comics fans!

David
:cool:

There's a comics and graphic novels forum just a bit further down the page! Try looking in there for a bit more discussion on that topic!

I also love comics, both western ones and manga, some of my favourites being:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: Possibly THE best graphic novel in existence, if not one of the greatest works of fiction full stop. An epic, thought-provoking future-fantasy in a world destroyed by mankind's scientific advances. An ecological warning, a study of empires and their downfalls, a strongly pacifist tale, and so much more

Blade of the Immortal: Not exactly as epic as Nausicaa, but a superb samurai tale with beautiful art and nihilistic-punk sensibilities, narrating the life of an immortal ronin named Manji and his quest to kill 1000 bad men, thus lifting the curse of immortality.

Watchmen: Superb graphic novel by Alan Moore-a genius in the comics world. An utterly different take on the superhero, or masked vigilante.

2000AD: A British weekly anthology of sci-fi, fantasy and horror, whose most famous creation is undeniably Judge Dredd.

:D David

Yeah, you are posting on the wrong site, but that's cool. I didn't know Free Comic Book Day was July 3rd this year. I am definitely going. You should post the info in the right forum so word gets out to comic book readers. Ned B.

Hi there,

Okay. I do feel a little stupid. I will post the Free Comic Book Day stuff in the Comics Forum, but I bet most of the people already know about it. It is always cool to talk to people that read.

David

I’m a major comic book fanatic. I’m mostly in to MARVEL but I read some work done by some independent writers from time to time. My favorite titles are:

Uncanny X-Men
X-Men
Generation X
New Mutants
Emma Frost
New X-Men
X-Treme X-Men

The Sandman -Neil Gaiman
The Crow -James O'Barr
From Hell -Alan Moore
Johnny The Homicidal Maniac -Jhonen Vasquez (well, I haven't read it since high school... I have the feeling I've out grown it)
Lenore -Roman Dirge (same as J. Homicidal maniac... think I've outgrown it)

Some of my favourites are:

Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kishiro

Pixy and other works by Max Andersson
This one is about an aborted foetus that calls his mother from the kingdom of death and blackmails her to read him stories on the phone. Her husband will naturally have to try to get into kingdom of death and kill him again.

Paul Auster's city of glass
A comic book version of the first book in the New York Trilogy.

I enjoy comics like The Sandman, The Watchmen, Swamp Thing (Moore), and some other older stuff. There's not a lot of new stuff, other than manga, that interests me.

I've been reading the '80s series of the Question for the last several weeks. I found it to be to be interesting because it's more or less a backwards vigilante story, in that the main character wears a mask, but he has no alter ego; he uses martial arts, but he doesn't want to kill anybody; he's trying to save a city that's going to hell, but he's not out for revenge (or "justice", as they like to call it in comics); and he doesn't follow a code, even though he lives in a morally ambiguous world. there's also a pretty cool reading list in the letters page of each issue, where they recommend books like zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and way of the peaceful warrior.

Back