• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Computer Virus Protection - 2008

Motokid

What are you using, and why?

Did you download it?
Was it free?

I'm asking in regards to a Dell PC running Windows XP.

Did you buy it online?
Did you buy it from a store?

Please let me know what you use and why.

Thanks.

I am running Avast at this very moment.

It's doing an interesting thing.

It's running a check from the "boot-up" sequence.

I like that idea.

I've run AVG and Ad-Aware prior. Both found things the other had not.

Now Avast is churning away at the boot-up screen.

An Apple Mac will be my next computer purchase.

Thanks Beer Good. :D

You were not the only to suggest Avast, but you were the only person here at TBF to respond. :mad:

Best things to do are to keep your computer clean in the first place. I use Firefox, NoScript and I practice good browsing habits. I'm in the process of switching to Linux as well. These are all free to download. I don't have spyware problems on my computers--meaning, if you ran Ad-Aware or Avast or any equivalent program on my computers they wouldn't come up with anything because there isn't anything there.

Switching to a Mac because someone had problems with Windows is like someone saying they crashed their BMW into a tree because they were digging for a pen on the floor of their passenger seat so they're going to buy a Honda instead because then they won't get into any more accidents.

Switching to a Mac because someone had problems with Windows is like someone saying they crashed their BMW into a tree because they were digging for a pen on the floor of their passenger seat so they're going to buy a Honda instead because then they won't get into any more accidents.

Wrong on many accounts.

!.) It's not "someone" - there's a huge huge huge industry around computer virus protection if you haven't noticed. This isn't an un-common event among internet surfers. 99% (from what I've heard and read) of all computer viruses are effecting ONLY windows operating systems and PC's.

They do not attack Mac's.

2.) Firefox doesn't protect you. I run Firefox. It's great for some things, but not all. And it's certainly not a virus protection, or firewall in and of itself.

Wrong on many accounts.

!.) It's not "someone" - there's a huge huge huge industry around computer virus protection if you haven't noticed. This isn't an un-common event among internet surfers. 99% (from what I've heard and read) of all computer viruses are effecting ONLY windows operating systems and PC's.
Yes, I have noticed. It's there largely because the majority of people aren't smart when using their computers and it's always been profitable to take advantage of people's stupidity. Viruses/Spyware are not uncommon among internet users because smart internet users are uncommon. And what you've heard and read is wrong. Viruses/spyware (which I think you mean spyware and not viruses, since the programs you mentioned do no address viruses and they do address spyware) are created for the operating systems that are used the most. Most people use Windows, so therefore it makes the most sense and is the most profitable for people to create spyware that affects Windows systems. Mac is the next most popularly used operating system, so therefore they're the next most targeted. They're targeted less than Windows, but they're still targeted.
They do not attack Mac's.
Got some rose-colored glasses?

2.) Firefox doesn't protect you. I run Firefox. It's great for some things, but not all. And it's certainly not a virus protection, or firewall in and of itself.
Sure Firefox protects you. And obviously it wont protect you from everything. And no, it isn't virus protection, but you seemed to be confused about what a virus was and what spyware was, so you seemed to be asking about spyware.

Either way, what I said still stands. Using Firefox, using something like NoScript, and practicing smart browsing habits should keep you safe from most things. Note, I did not say simply 'Use Firefox'. I did say other things as well. Switching to a Mac OS because you think Windows is what is making your computer unsafe is just incorrect logic. I know most people disagree, but they're more familiar with Mac's advertising than the reality of computers.

I use AVG. It has a small footprint and has found things that the other AV vendors missed.

Most viruses are not designed with Macs in mind because the majority of the world's computers are not Macs.

Simple as.

Jez, I love to debate and argue like almost nobody on this forum.

I'm not a techno-geek-dorkophile. I was speaking in generalities.

I don't care if it's spyware, adware, virus, trojan, or worm.

It's not as simple as "knowing what to click on".

I have two children and they all use the desktop with friends and all kinds of shit.

You may be right in some cases, but I know (as much as I can know) that you are wrong in some cases too.

Believe what you wish, and happy surfing.

My oldest daughter is an art student.
We'll get a MAC as the next computer and we'll be able to compare them side by side in terms of "unwanted" and uninvited shit that slips in from the internet.

Jez, I love to debate and argue like almost nobody on this forum.
Why would be be debating? You asked a question, I answered it, you ignored it because you disagree. There's nothing to debate. This isn't a question of which operating system you prefer to use, it's about what is the best way to protect your computer--and that's a fact, not really a debatable issue.

I'm not a techno-geek-dorkophile. I was speaking in generalities.

I don't care if it's spyware, adware, virus, trojan, or worm.
You should care to know if you're using a computer. If you were having sex with multiple people would you not care about sexually transmitted diseases and how they are transmitted, prevented, identified, or treated? You're opening up yourself to a lot of nasty things by using the Internet. Why on earth wouldn't you care to understand it?

It's not as simple as "knowing what to click on".
Yes, it really is. Knowing what to click on, knowing what not to click on, knowing what not to download and what to download, and knowing how to protect yourself. It's not rocket science and problems really are pretty much avoidable with proper use.

I have two children and they all use the desktop with friends and all kinds of shit.
And installing a browser like Firefox or any of its equivalents and using something like NoScript would protect against most of what they might click on. Teaching them would take care of the rest. If they're old enough to figure out how to use the computer, then they can learn how to browse intelligently.

You may be right in some cases, but I know (as much as I can know) that you are wrong in some cases too.
I'd love for you to explain how I'm wrong, because so far you haven't. As Syb said, and as I already said before that, most things are written for Windows, but not all. If you take the advice I've given you, then it doesn't matter what operating system you're running because you'll be pretty safe in all of them (though more safe in Linux).

Believe what you wish, and happy surfing.
Oh, I'm fine. I'm not the one with spyware problems. ;)

My oldest daughter is an art student.
So what? Unless her professors require she use Mac file formats, then it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

We'll get a MAC as the next computer and we'll be able to compare them side by side in terms of "unwanted" and uninvited shit that slips in from the internet.
First off, why would you buy a new computer? You do know that any Mac computer uses the same hardware as a computer that runs Windows? The company just charges a few hundred dollars more for the logo.

And keep in mind, you might not be able to see all of the 'uninvited shit' that is running on your computer. You could have a keystroke logger on your computer and you'd never even know it. Or any number of things that you wouldn't know and scanning programs like Ad-Aware might not be able to find. Also, since you're probably running an version of Windows that has been on your computer for a while, by the nature of it being old it will be slower than a newly installed operating system (even if you just reinstalled the same version of Windows you've been running).

Look, I personally don't care what operating system you decide to run. You could run Windows '95 for all I care. If you run a Mac os, then you're crippling yourself. It's the Fisher Price os of the world, but if you're happy with that, then that's fine. At least understand what you're doing. But you'll of course do what you want. What I don't understand, though, is why you, a person who doesn't know all that much about computers--by your own admission, think you're correct. You might have heard things, and some of what you've said has even been correct, but you don't seem to have the knowledge to be able to correctly interpret any information you may have heard (as evidenced by what you've posted).

Oh, and if you do want to know about virus prevention, and that will be more on an issue when using a Mac os, just don't download anything from unknown sources. Including email attachments. That should keep your computer virus free.

Are you some disgruntled ex-Apple employee or something?
Appears you have some ax to grind against Mac's.

Most people have intense hatred for Microsoft.

I know many people, both personally and through internet who have used both and swear by the Apple products over Microsoft/PC.

Graphic artists especially are beyond convinced Mac's are THE choice for computing needs.

My kid will be heading for college soon. A laptop of her own will be a tool she needs. As a student in the arts it's the choice of champions.

And I stated....I use Firefox already. On all my current computers except the new XO laptop which has a linux OS.

Are you some disgruntled ex-Apple employee or something?
Appears you have some ax to grind against Mac's.
No, I'm not. I just know enough about the main operating systems to know what's wrong with them. Windows is far from perfect.

Most people have intense hatred for Microsoft.
Most people use Windows. Most people are also pretty stupid when it comes to the 'magic box' that is a computer.

I know many people, both personally and through internet who have used both and swear by the Apple products over Microsoft/PC.
Mac operating systems are more child-proofed than Windows. They also have a great marketing campaign that works. And again, you do know that the computers Apple sells have the same exact hardware that computers that run Windows have, yes? There is no such thing as a Microsoft pc. PC means 'personal computer', that is, hardware, and Microsoft sells software.

Graphic artists especially are beyond convinced Mac's are THE choice for computing needs.
You can convince people of most anything. Remember the pet rock and that whole 'the world is flat' thing? Apple markets it's computers towards the artsy community and their marketing works. Adobe programs like Photoshop did start out with Mac os back in the day, but that has since changed and the associations are fairly antiquated now. Macs are still often used within some art communities, so in that sense you might want to use a Mac os for compatibility reasons (which is what I said before about a professor). That doesn't mean that the operating system itself is any better. It just means it's what is used and because it is a crippled os that isn't compatible with what the majority of the world uses, you might have to use that os within certain communities. You could also just run a Mac os and Windows (and Linux, and etc) all on the same computer so you're not as crippled.

My kid will be heading for college soon. A laptop of her own will be a tool she needs. As a student in the arts it's the choice of champions.
If that's the system her school uses, then yes installing that operating system might be a benefit to her. It might also be a hindrance for her if all of her other non-art professors want her to send text documents through email or use programs that are not supported by a Mac os (which are many). I'm not saying this to be argumentative, I'm saying this because it's the truth and a computer is an expensive investment. I'm just trying to help by giving you information.

And I stated....I use Firefox already. On all my current computers except the new XO laptop which has a linux OS.

Yes, you did. Do you use NoScript? If not, I suggest you do since it really does help plug up a lot of the security leaks that may be present in FF. Also, you might not see FF doing much because you might have things on your computer that were installed before you started using Firefox.

Either way, best of luck to you with whatever you choose.

Without going too far into my IT-geek greatness i have used primarily windows for many years and never had any problems from virus or spyware. Windows has its share of problems but in terms of security they have come mainly from IE/outlook beeing too "helpful" in their factory settings. Using common sense, a decent antivirus program and a decent browser you wont have any more problems in windows than in linux or mac.

In terms of working with others mac is still the worst OS you can have. You will run into compatibility problems quite often as most of the rest of the world are using windows formats. You will have trouble opening certain files, and you will have issues that your document looks different if you try to show it on a windows or linux computer even if they claim to use the same format. There is also a much smaller amount of programs available for mac than for windows.

The mac as the first choice for graphic artists is a relic from a long time ago. Its simply not true anymore. While mac in itself is a fine OS, it doesnt really have any advantages over windows. So its not really worth it to get into all those problems because of the design on the case.

If you want to you could make a dualboot setup with both windows and mac on the computer, but i would not use a mac if you dont have access to a computer with windows.

If you want to stay away from windows at all costs i'd go with linux over mac. Its free, its got better compatibility and is in many cases much better than either mac or windows. But imo you need some computer knowledge to run linux properly, and i still would have windows either on another computer or in a dualboot setup.

Macs are the choice of professionals in my business – and much of the rest of the media and creative world – and have been for years. Since I work on them when I'm in an office, I have them at home too. Indeed, as a freelancer, it would be ridiculous, if not downright impossible, not to.

They do what I want them to do. The OS does what I need it to do. They run programmes such as Adobe's Classic Suite, which are essential for my work, very nicely (in fact, such programmes were originally designed for Macs alone, because users of such programmes are Mac users). I'm no Geekette. I want a computer that is easy to use, that makes loading software easy etc.

What most pisses me off with Macs is having to use crappy Microsoft software such as Office. Word is dire. I live and work in the UK. I do not want US spellings of words. But when I turn the English English dictionary on, this only lasts until I start customising it (having just written "customising", it now has a nice little line under it because it disagrees with my English Enhlish spelling – ie an 's' and not a 'z').

When I want to write a letter, I don't need some patronising programme asking me whether it needs me to format it, as if I were a child in primary school and it were the teacher.

Unfortunately, it's now also a trade standard.

Jez, what Zolipara said was a bit/lot different than what you said.

And this is a debatable topic just as much as "which is the best car to buy for under $30,000".

Lots of people have lots of different experiences.

Many will condem what others praise. Just like religion.

You may swear by Harley Davidson, and I'll take Yamaha.
You may wish to buy GM, but I'll go Honda.
You may conclude traditional Catholic is the best for you, and I'll go full-blown agnostic, completely non-denominational, leaning towards athieism.

I will use a virus protection program. At the moment either AVG or Avast.
I will use Ad-Aware and Spybot on routine checks as well.
Plus, the Windows Malicious Software checker when the thought arises.

Thanks all.

Lots of people have lots of different experiences.

Many will condem what others praise. Just like religion.

You may swear by Harley Davidson, and I'll take Yamaha.
You may wish to buy GM, but I'll go Honda.
You may conclude traditional Catholic is the best for you, and I'll go full-blown agnostic, completely non-denominational, leaning towards athieism.

Its actually very different. Because when you drive a yamaha you are not affected by those driving a Harley. Its more like a situation where those driving yamaha's were only allowed to drive on 10% of the roads in the world, while those driving harleys can drive wherever they want.

Now if you only want to stay on those 10% the yamaha works fine, but you are cut off from those places that only have harley roads.

Jez, what Zolipara said was a bit/lot different than what you said.
Zolipara didn't say much at all, if anything, that I didn't already say.

And this is a debatable topic just as much as "which is the best car to buy for under $30,000".
No, a lot of it isn't. The fact that the association of Macs with the art community is based on outdated information is a fact. The fact that the Mac os is incompatible with most of the programs the rest of the world uses is a fact. The ways to protect your computer from viruses/spyware/etc. are a fact. None of those are debatable unless you're into debating whether the sun might actually revolve around the Earth. Now if you wanted to say whether Macs are prettier, that would be debatable, but not whether Macs are more visual. Just because people disagree, doesn't mean the subject is debatable. Some opinions are just based on incorrect information and they are therefore wrong no matter how strongly they are believed in.

Thanks all.
"Debates" aside, I wish you the best of luck with whatever operating system you choose to get, and whatever computer you choose to get if you do choose to get a new one.

Back