• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Concentration while reading

Usually I find it hard to break my concentration away from the book, even when I know I have to do something else, even important stuff like eating and bathroom use. I have figured out how to read and wash dishes. :cool: But if I do find myself not absorbing what I'm reading, it's time to sleep.

phil_t said:
Read book in one hand, put dishes in the dishwasher with the other ... its simple :)

Phil
It's not that simple here - no dishwasher. :(
Heres what I do:
1. Fill up sink with book out of way so it doesnt get wet.
2. I prop the book up to the right of the faucets, opened to the correct page & put the bottom left corner of the book behind the sprayer thing.
3. I keep the pages open with a clothespin on the top edges of each side.

Of course, you have to dry your hands to turn the page, and it doesn't work wellwith very small books. You also have to pay some attention to the dishes. I generally cant rinse and read at the same time! I came up with this because I had borrowed a few books on tape from my neighbor, but I had to keep stopping, drying hands and rewinding. I cant seem to concentrate on someone reading to me.
I hope this helps. I do like the dishwasher idea phil_t- maybe someday :rolleyes:

lorrekarloff said:
It's not that simple here - no dishwasher. :(
Heres what I do:
1. Fill up sink with book out of way so it doesnt get wet.
2. I prop the book up to the right of the faucets, opened to the correct page & put the bottom left corner of the book behind the sprayer thing.
3. I keep the pages open with a clothespin on the top edges of each side.

Of course, you have to dry your hands to turn the page, and it doesn't work wellwith very small books. You also have to pay some attention to the dishes. I generally cant rinse and read at the same time! I came up with this because I had borrowed a few books on tape from my neighbor, but I had to keep stopping, drying hands and rewinding. I cant seem to concentrate on someone reading to me.
I hope this helps. I do like the dishwasher idea phil_t- maybe someday :rolleyes:
Oh man! What all people do! :confused:
You know what, I dont think even this is going to work for me. :(
I am too picky about my books being clean and tidy. And I am too picky about my dishes also! When I want my complete attention on two things at the same time, I am asking for a little too much, ain't I? :D

sanyuja said:
Oh man! What all people do! :confused:
You know what, I dont think even this is going to work for me. :(
I am too picky about my books being clean and tidy. And I am too picky about my dishes also! When I want my complete attention on two things at the same time, I am asking for a little too much, ain't I? :D
Well, I haven't done any damage to any books so far, as long as I dont splash the water, and I always check the dishes in case I miss something, but so far I haven't. Its just that dishwashing is SOOO BORING, its impossible for me to stop reading to do it. Maybe books on tape or CD would work better for you. I still like the idea of a dishwasher. That would make it all easier for us both! :D

lorrekarloff said:
Its just that dishwashing is SOOO BORING, its impossible for me to stop reading to do it.
I agree with you that dishwashing is very boring. Since I cant read while I am washing the dishes -- I get invovled in another interest of mine - music :D
In fact, I listen to music ALL the time. The only time when music takes a backseat is when I am reading ;)

sanyuja said:
I agree with you that dishwashing is very boring. Since I cant read while I am washing the dishes -- I get invovled in another interest of mine - music :D
In fact, I listen to music ALL the time. The only time when music takes a backseat is when I am reading ;)
That's funny, because before I figured out how to read while washing, I listened to radio or CD's also- and I still do most of the rest of the day - unless there's a good old movie on! :)

lorrekarloff said:
That's funny, because before I figured out how to read while washing, I listened to radio or CD's also- and I still do most of the rest of the day - unless there's a good old movie on! :)
I see! Then proabably I am just a step away from managing reading and dish-washing at the same time! ;) Shall definitely try it sometimes! :rolleyes:

I think if I attempted to wash up whilst reading I would:

a) Get everything very wet, and not very clean
b) Get beaten up by Ice for sloshing water everywhere and ruining decent books!! :D

Phil

Once I'm past the first few chapters of a book, concentration isn't a problem for me. At first, however, I really have to force myself to keep on reading.

hm, i can't really say that i do. my thoughts to linger often though. i guess i've just learned to pause reading or re-focus

water faerie said:
Once I'm past the first few chapters of a book, concentration isn't a problem for me. At first, however, I really have to force myself to keep on reading.

it's the same for me. i hate starting a new book though. most of the time i hate being introduced to new characters/settings.

Back