• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Concentration while reading

-Carlos-

Losing concentration is a common occurrence for most readers. We all have our own specific ways to gather our lingering thoughts- our concentration.

I close my eyes and bow my head; relaxing my body- my neck muscles, arms and legs. I focus on my breathing by taking in a deep breath and holding it before exhaling slowly through the nose. I'll hold my breath 2-3 more times before I open my eyes and tilt my head back up. Next I would rub the back of my neck as I tilt my head back as far as it would go. I would hold that position for a minute before I continue with my reading.

If I find that I need more focus- when daily worries continue to flood my mind- I would stand up from where I am sitting and take a brisk walk/stretch or have something cold to drink. I would step outside (briefly) to take in some fresh air before returning to my reading. This is my ritual when I lose focus.

Do you have one of your own when you lose your concentration when reading? If so, please post it for all to benefit. Thank you.
_

It happened this very morning on the tube so I closed the book and continued the journey without reading. I have the option of either carry on reading a missing critical incidents of the story, or go back to it refreshed and focused and enjoy it more.

So, yeah....um....just take a break from it.

Mxx

I don't really have problems with focussing while reading. Somehow, the actual act of reading is the thing that makes me focus, if you know what I mean. I could have a very bad day, be tired, be cranky, have a complete lack of concentration, and the minute I open the book I'm reading at that moment in time, I'm completely able to concentrate and close myself off from the rest of the world.

Sometimes, almost never actually, a book refuses to grab my attention, my concentration, and if this happens I will keep trying for at least 10 or 15 pages, and if the miracle hasn't happened by then, I close the book, put it away, and start a new one, because if it doensn't grab me immediately, it won't grab me at all (one example of a book like that is 'Eon' by Greg Bear; just couldn't wrestle myself through the level of detail and tech-talk in this book).

That's it, really. Proceed, if you must...

Cheers, Martin :D

I'm with you, Martin. I don't have much difficulty concentrating on a book. If I do, I quit. Of course, I'm reading for pleasure.

About Eon. I enjoyed it, but it did have a bit too much "tech-tale" for my taste.

Dawn said:
About Eon. I enjoyed it, but it did have a bit too much "tech-tale" for my taste.
But you finished it anyway? Was it worth it, would you encourage me to give it another go (I just couldn't go on after 20 pages or so)?

I do like science fiction, that's why I bought this book, so the subject shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know.

Cheers, Martin :D

Oops, I meant to say "tech-talk". Anyway, if you are already discourged by the sci-fi jargon, then beware. I was thrown toward the end of the book with trying to keep track. The story is good enough to be told without the heavy handed tech speak. But I really like Bear, so I waded through it.

When I lose my concentration on my book. I leave it and do something different. Then I feel ready to read book again.

I very rarely have problems with concentration while reading a book. Quite the opposite, actually. More than once have missed a bus stop or a train station, because I was so engrossed with book! I have a tendency to lose myself in the story and the characters.

Occationally, however, have had real troubles with finishing a book. Tolkien's Silmarillion is a good example. I have never managed to finish it. My mind keeps drifting off towards shopping lists, things I need to do, people I need to call. I have given up on that book for now.

At other times, however, I have decided finish a particular book. A book, I knew I wanted to have read. Per-Olov Enquist: Lewis Rejse (Lewi's Journey). I treated it almost like a boring university textbook, you knew you had to read. And now I am glad I did it.

Hobitten :)

it's wierd that even when reading a book you enjoy, that you can be thinking about something then realize a page and a half later that you weren't really absorbing any of the text you were looking at. i don't really find it much of a problem though. whenever i do that i just go back to the last part i do remember reading. problem solved.

I rarely ever lose focus while reading...if I'm to the point of having trouble focusing, I have bigger problems than just lack of concentration. Normally I have to go sort out the problems and then come back to reading.

I should mention, I'm a very focused and intense person...whatever I'm focusing on at the moment pretty much shuts out everything else.

I put on some classical music while I read and my mind is fully occupied with both the book and the music. Romantic and Modern are my favourite areas.

I find tea and chocolate help, espcially if it's late at night. Caffine and sugar rush always does wonders. Can anyone read in bed? I always fall asleep after about 2 minutes, always gutted. Such a nice warm, cosy place to read in the winter too. Just don't seem to be able to do it. Sometimes I wish I suffered from insomnia!!!

Hmmmmmm, be careful what you wish for ;)

But yes, you are right, reading in bed is great! And it's great especially in the winter time! Best times for reading in bed is very late at night and very early in the morning!

Normally I don't have trouble concentrating and I find reading to be very relaxing. But this past week my mind drifts every time I start reading, eventhough I like the book I'm reading..
I hope it just has something to do with what I have to read for Uni, 30 pages where a 75 year old professor rambles on about democracy is just not fun.. Can't wait for the christmas holiday..

If I wasted valuable time faffing around doing all that kind of stuff I would be wasting what precious little time I have got to read.

I really don't have much trouble concentrating. If I am really into something, I can tune just about everything out. When I was a kid, my sisters used to say I was "spaced out", but I was actually "tuned in" to whatever had my attention at that time. I suppose nowadays, my good skills at concentrating come in handy since most of the time, my house is quite the active and noisy place. If I had to have total peace and quiet to read, I'd never be able to get thru a single book. :eek:

Depends on the book. Some books get me hooked in, no matter what, while with others, my mind can wander, even if it's a good book. :eek: I'm very easily distracted anyway.... :rolleyes: I also tend to have a bad memory when it comes to books I've read. I'll remember reading a book, and loving it, but I can't remember some key details. :( Not sure if that's due to poor concentration, or just poor memory. :eek:

If it's a good book I hardly ever lose my concentration. I can sit in a crowded room and just lose myself in it and block out all the noise. However, with some classics and non-fiction, I do have difficulty and find myself reading the same bit over and over again. Sometimes that tells me it's time to give it up and read something more interesting. Occasionally, as with War and Peace, I'll skip the really boring bits, then pick up the thread again a few pages later.

I rarely have problems concentrating when I am reading a book.
If I ever lose concentration (which has happened some times) I try reading the same lines over and over again. Even after many attempts, if I cant concentrate, I just throw the book away and try it again after some time.
If I have trouble with a book over a period of time, I abandon it completely! Which has happened once with some Sidney Sheldon book (I dont remember th name of the book! :D). Sorry, Sidney Sheldon fans!

I agree with blueboatdriver - screw the stretching breathing crap... READ! NOTHING gets in the way of my reading.

The one who leaves funny little hairs about the upstairsbathroom tells me that a nuclear bomb could go off and I'd still be standing there reading.

Back