• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Condensed versions, anyone?

Peder

ed narrativeDoes anyone read condensed versions of novels, apart from cramming for exams of course.?
When? Why? What do you think of them?

I recently got tired of being the only person I know who had not gotten around to reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I finally decided to find a "sparks-notes" but actually did better. I found a 100-page summary and read it. Not bad at all -- full length down to 100 pages allowed for a quite detailed summary of the entire story, including very considerable detailled narrative and dialog. And now, at least I feel I have filled a blind-spot and know the story of "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Of course, I didn't read the author's original words -- O heresy!! -- but, for this book, I'm not sure that reading the author's original style was vital to the enjoyment. Double heresy, I know! But I am unrepentant. :D

Anyone else? Any thoughts on why you do or don't, would or might, or wouldn't ever?

Last edited:
I wished I'd read the condensed Les Mis and Hunchback. I really didn't need the constant 20-30 page side stories about the history of the Paris sewer system, history of a Priory, the battle that took place years before that left a bullet scar in a tree. Too much and too distracting.

I wished I'd read the condensed Les Mis and Hunchback. I really didn't need the constant 20-30 page side stories about the history of the Paris sewer system, history of a Priory, the battle that took place years before that left a bullet scar in a tree. Too much and too distracting.
:D
Definitely agree with that, regdog, although in my younger years I too read Hunchback. Like climbing Mt. Everest, "because it was there."
Your post brings to mind some other famous (er, notorious?) works that are long on style: Proust's Remembrance, Joyce's Ulysses and Finnegans Wake. I won't suggest they are short on story, because who among us general readers would know without a good condensation to plot only? Not too short, not too long, but just right. :)

Back